BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

HELP! :( The Jimny Boogie won't start... diagnostic video

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2021 16:37 #234415 by X8GGY
Hello all, not often I have to cry for help... but I don't do "enjins" (much... I'd never touch brakes normally, but I'm getting there... ;) )

Okay, pulled the Boogie out of the garage yesterday to give it a run on the drive to get the coolant system circulating after fitting the new metal radiator pipe, changing the thermostat, the radiator and it's cap, and filling with water and anti-freeze... so it needed a run to circulate it, check for air locks, add more water, check the running temperature etc...

Anyway, drove it out, turned the ignition off, opened the bonnet, went to restart it and it won't turn over? :(

Hard to explain in words the symtoms so I figured a video would be the best thing...

So, the ignition gets turned on, all the lights on the dash come on, I can hear the fuel pump start up in the back, and then when I turn to ignition to start I get...

I can smell fuel, there must be plenty of battery power as both battery switches are 'on'...  that relay (?) clicks a few times but nothig happens, it doesn't even try to crank? :( 

I'm thinking either a dud relay or the immobiliser is 'on' - what are the telltale signs of that? I thought it would crank but not start if the immolisier was 'on' ? Is there a padlock sumbol on the dash? (I don't get one)

Starter motor / solenoid? But there's no big TICK, just that relay sounding one.

Any ideas or help before I call in a mobile mechanic? 

HELP!

Dave :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Apr 2021 17:46 #234418 by Lambert
Have you smote the starter motor mightily with a suitable sturdy stick?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Apr 2021 18:08 #234419 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
12 Apr 2021 18:15 #234420 by jackonlyjack

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Apr 2021 18:17 #234421 by X8GGY
THANKS Guys...

Been talking to Riccy and Brett on WhatsApp too...

That water pipe I've been wrestling with is right next to.....

... the starter motor!

Perhaps I've knocked something?

scruffs on soon then... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy

More
13 Apr 2021 07:49 #234430 by Mike G
I know you're probably getting somewhere with this by now but I'm not sure if you've had a bout of cold weather lately.  If so, batteries don't really like cold weather and sitting around not charging.  I would chuck the batteries on charge for a while, just to be sure that they are producing enough power.  Low hanging fruit and peace of mind that they have enough juice to turn an engine.  I always have my bike batteries on a trickle charge to avoid disappointment when the summertime comes around.  Maybe not the problem you're experiencing, but easy to eliminate.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
13 Apr 2021 10:13 #234433 by RainerK
The clicking/rattling sound you hear might be the starter solenoid that engages and as soon as it engages to actually connect the starter motor the current/voltage drops possibly due to much higher current demand of the starter motor and the solenoid disengages again. 

- If this is the case, then the first check would be the voltage of the battery during starting or trying to jump start with another car.

- If the voltage drop is not the issue, then it might be a wire or wire connection - loose, corroded, internally broken, .... . This can be tested by, e.g., directly contacting the starter solenoid with a jump starter cable. But be VERY CAREFUL because then the engine incl. fan might start to turn and also do not touch anything except for the solenoid connection with the jump starter connection because this will make a big spark and might damage some electronics.

- Then it might be defective solenoid or starter. Maybe some water got onto the solenoid, the starter is defective, ... .

Hopefully this helps you a little.

More
13 Apr 2021 10:23 #234434 by Roger Fairclough
Due to the high current when the solenoid is initialized, there is burning to the contacts. Over a period of time this burning destroys the contact surface and the current can't pass. There are usually repair kits that are a lot cheaper than a new starter motor.

Roger

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2021 11:09 #234435 by X8GGY
THANKS ALL!

Off this afternoon for a few hours so I'll disappear underneath for a look...

Hoping to go for Shakedown 2.1 on Sunday! LOL :lol:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Apr 2021 14:18 #234441 by X8GGY
Blummin' Heck... embarrassing five minute fix :(

Took the little spade connector off, on, off, repeat to get a better contact, wiggle the big cable that's all nice and tight...

Battery switch on...

ignition ...

VROOM!!!

Bah! :woohoo:

We live and learn... fiddle first before posting!!! :lol:

Thanks again ALL!

Dave 

More
More
13 Apr 2021 15:53 - 13 Apr 2021 15:53 #234444 by Scimike
Its good thats its thrown its toys out before it hits the dirt in anger, the coolant loss and starter could have happen together in the middle of a lane.
So been lucky so far that its getting this out of the way. Just remember that starter wire for the day it happens again!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 15:53 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds