BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2006 Jimny Clutch Release Bearing

More
26 Mar 2021 16:09 - 26 Mar 2021 16:11 #234045 by Davemc
Good afternoon. I'm a newbie. We bought a 2006 Jimny last year with 83k on the clock last year. There is a ticking/vibrating noise coming from the clutch when the clutch pedal is out. When it's depressed it disappears. I've had a look through the clutch cable aperture and can see the release bearing rattling and causing the noise. If I adjust the clutch cable to give more slack it rattles more and it's a bit harder to get it into gear - it looks loose like it's not attached to the clutch fork properly. If I tighten it up the slack on the cable, it pulls the bearing near to the clutch pressure plate and makes it a bit quiter but then it still vibrates presumably because it's turning all the time. In theory, the gearbox was reconditioned and a new clutch fitted when we bought the car. The clutch pressure plate does look new but I'm wondering if they've fitted the wrong release bearing or it's not clipped in correctly.
Question is:- should our car M13A car have either or both clips in the attached diagram (6 or 8), I can't see a No.6 clip through the aperture.
Phot also attached hopefully.
Thanks for any help.
Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 16:11 by Davemc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2021 19:54 #234049 by Roger Fairclough
Welcome to the forum.

Did you get a warranty with the car and if so, does it include the clutch? If it does your first stop is to talk to the seller.

Please come back to us with an update.

Roger

More
26 Mar 2021 20:29 - 26 Mar 2021 20:35 #234051 by Scimike
Hi,
Not changed the clutch on our Jimmy, but the WIKI ^^^^^^has a write up on changing the clutch and I can only see part 6, but the other bit does not apear to have any function relating to holding the release bearing. It's possible it's behind the release arm in this photo, something could be behind the arm, sort of clip showing in the upper aperture. The dome in the metal just above this matches the dome shape of the top of part 8..
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Fil..._release_bearing.png

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2021 20:35 by Scimike.

• gsalini
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2021 20:44 #234052 by gsalini
Replied by gsalini on topic 2006 Jimny Clutch Release Bearing
Hi there,
I have changed the clutch myself on the jimny. Both 6 and 8 should be there, no doubt about it. 6 holds the bearing in place to the fork and 8 holds the fork in place on the gearbox.

Its a bit of a pig of a job to get the gearbox off but doable.

More
27 Mar 2021 09:58 #234065 by Davemc
Thanks very much for the replies.@ Roger. We have a very thin guarantee that covers parts only and specifies that they must suddenly fail mechanically. The gearbox has an oil leak from the drain and fill plugs and possibly from the top so presumably no thread sealer was used, so I’m not 100% confident in the garage anyway. I had a different local garage look at it to see if they fancied the job, or at least to confirm what I think. They diagnosed a problem with the bell housing – see pic below. I’m still lost as to why – just makes me more cynical and want to do it myself.@Scimike. Yeah I’ve read the clutch replacement guide and thought the same about the springs. I’ve found another guide that suggests that the clutch can be removed without taking the gearbox out. pmmonline.co.uk/technical/how-to-replace...h-on-a-suzuki-jimny/ The Wiki guide also mentions that some people have managed to change the clutch at the point of moving the gearbox back. So I’m thinking of attempting that – it looks like that may be enough room for me to at least have a look and take off the clutch fork.@ gsalini. Thanks for confirming – can I ask what year yours is? I read the topic below and thought one of the clips may not be used on a later Jimnys but I wasn’t sure which clip. www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...clutch-return-spring I was hoping to get the clips and a release bearing before starting the job. I can see clip 8 for sale in various places but not clip 6 – the nearest I can see is something off a Suzuki Carry Van. It does look tricky but I think I’ll give it a go. I like to think I’m slow but thorough. This is my daughter’s first car – tried to talk her into getting a sensible car but I’ve got a TVR so could not argue. It does mean I’m used to a bit of frustration, getting stuck and leaving something for a week J.Thanks again for the replies. Forums like this are great for sharing knowledge. Posts must be read by 100s lurking in the background as well as those who take the time to reply. I’ve just changed the alternator and PAS belts. The air conditioning doesn’t work (pump rusted) so I’ve already used a tip to bypass the air conditioning pump until I get round to looking at it.Dave
Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2021 10:00 #234066 by Davemc
Wil try to format better next time.

More
27 Mar 2021 11:29 #234067 by LM42
you can change the clutch without removing the gearbox from the car, i did my brothers and mine, never did a clutch before!

did a lot of reading and watching videos , i had a broken clip that holds the arm to the ball joint on the gearbox, also changed the Spigot bearing

the bolt above the starter motor was the hardest to get too, and was getting the gearbox off the dowls

my brothers took 11 hours ( never done a clutch before) mine took a 5 days as i had to wait for parts

More
27 Mar 2021 11:32 #234068 by LM42
got the clip from Suzuki sims on ebay

More
27 Mar 2021 12:05 #234069 by Davemc
Thanks for the info - that's clip 8 I think. I'll order one before I start and a release bearing. Still can't find clip 6 for sale at the moment.
There was some vibration around 2000rpm which seems common (LUK clutch fitted apparently), but it has all but disappeared after 1000 miles - like something has bedded in or something, so I was hoping to leave the clutch bolted to the flywheel unless there's not enough room to work on the fork and release bearing.

More
27 Mar 2021 17:32 #234072 by Roger Fairclough
The bearing on the layshaft - nearest the clutch - on my SJ413 would throw a wobbly after 50,000 miles or so and that required the g/box out and a strip down. From memory this was easy enough especially as the box was light enough to do it solo. I doubt if the Gen. 3 is any harder.

It can be done with the box just being moved back between the chassis rails but I personally do not see the point. If you remove the box it will be easier to access the flywheel and clutch.

Remember that there is a lot of practical and technical knowledge on this forum to assist you in this work.

Roger

More
27 Mar 2021 18:24 #234073 by Davemc
Thanks Roger. I'll see how I get on. I might take it out if I think I can manage it.
I'll get what bits I can and then make a start later in the week. I'll update the post in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Cheers
Dave

More
28 Mar 2021 01:05 #234077 by LM42
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationthis the one you after?

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds