BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Removing and refitting a front wing SZ5 / Gen4 /2019 / Jimny / biscuit tin

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2021 10:44 #233451 by Crumbs
Hi.

Is the front wing attached with screws alone, or will it need breaking spot welds on disassembling and spot welding and painting etc when reassembling ? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2021 11:16 #233452 by mlines
Nuts, bolts and plastic clips

You can see me do this in this video

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2021 15:27 #233455 by Crumbs
Hi mlines.

That video is superb, thank you.

How long did it take you to get the wing off ?

More
04 Mar 2021 16:27 #233456 by mlines
Without stopping to video/take pictures I would estimate about 30 minutes the first time. Now I could probably do it in 15 mins.

The tricky parts were lifting the scuttle (the bit between the windscreen and bonnet) as there is not a lot of room and it seems possible to damage the paint work in the narrow gap available. Also separating the wing from the front bumper, it took some wiggling.

Martin

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

• Crumbs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2021 14:26 - 08 Mar 2021 14:31 #233549 by Crumbs
Hi Martin.

When you took the metal wing off was there any black sealant at the nose of the wing or any adjacent panels ?

At the nose end, did the wing come off in one piece or more than one piece fastened together ?

After a crash the gap between the wing nose and panel across the front panel across the front of the jimny was slightly wide and there was some black stuff showing, there was also an extremely faint kink halfway down the wing and a shallow dint halfway down the front of the wing and there was a deep dint on the nose.

Here is the spooky thing. I drove it for over a month and the gap closed up parallel again and both dints sprang out again.

Two of the dent removal people say that they can see rust, but I can't !

Would it be possible to get a photostat of the wing removing section in the instructions.?

Last edit: 08 Mar 2021 14:31 by Crumbs.

More
08 Mar 2021 18:00 #233551 by mlines
The only "sealant" was the glue on the rubber strip that is between the plastic wheel arch and the wing. There was no other sealant and the wing is bolt on. There is seam sealant on other panel joins but none of these panels need separating. The very front bottom of the wing is clipped to the bumper and is a challenge to prise apart.

I can copy the page but to be honest it doesn't say much more than unbolt the wing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds