BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Exhaust

More
03 Mar 2021 15:36 #233420 by Joely978
Jimny Exhaust was created by Joely978
I got a towbar installed on my 2015 SN413 Jimny and the fitters did not leave  enough room between the muffler and towbar so i get a constant rattle when turning. It has really been getting on my nerves so am just going to get an exhaust place to move the muffler to fix the rattle.

They also qouted me an aftermarket extractor and a new CAT system, does anyone have any experience with upgrading their exhaust system and whether it is worth it?

I saw this guy lost power from his exhaust upgrade www.jimny-crew.com/exhaust-upgrade-dyno-results.html

Thanks 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2021 16:11 - 03 Mar 2021 16:16 #233422 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny Exhaust
Hi,
The space is a little tight for the rear silencer if you have a tow bar fitted, so its very sensitive to alignment.
By that I mean you need to make sure the mounting tabs are adjusted (bent) on the exhaust to get it to sit perfectly on the rubbers and level, if not it rattles. Even then over time the rubber mounts can stretch and again it can rattle.

I had need to adjust mine myself after the local exhaust fitters had put it on, useless bunch. Its easy enough to do but you do need to remove the rear bumper to get a better view.

Can't see much point in upgrading the exhaust myself, nothing wrong with the one it comes with. However, I do plan to get a custom-made rear box when mine rusts out so that its smaller and occupies less space, so less chance of it hitting the towbar steelwork.
Its not that expensive in the UK to do this, and mass produced aftermarket exhaust tend to hit the tow bar unless they are adjusted correctly, it’s a vicious circle!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Mar 2021 16:16 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Mar 2021 16:15 #233423 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Exhaust
My after market center section made my backbox rattle the towbar so I just bought a figure 8 exhaust rubber and used a couple of stainless steel zip ties to pull it away. Been working fine for a couple of years and not difficult or expensive to replace.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Mar 2021 16:26 #233426 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Jimny Exhaust
Stainless Steel ZipTies?! I didn't know they were available?! Just had a Google... that's definately a worthy addition to any 4x4's toolbox in the vehicle... I'll order some of them! B)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Mar 2021 18:56 #233429 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Exhaust
You are welcome.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Mar 2021 08:16 #233446 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Jimny Exhaust
The standard Jimny exhaust is very restrictive..... When my car was converted, initially it just had the back box removed and the pipe cut just above the axle. Whilst being noisey, I could notice a little more torque and a bit less movement up and down the box when driving.

I went to Tony Banks (Longlife) Exhausts in Leeds, he fitted a Redback Headers 4-2-1 manifold that I got from Ausralia and he built a full stainless 2" single box system with a 200cpa sports cat. The manifold was £230 and the system £600, madly expensive for a small improvement but something I do on any car that I keep for a while.

On the 1300VVT the results were good, much more drivable, more torque, fewer gear changes....... Probably a bit too raspy for a mature driver but you can go back to Tony Banks and he will alter the sound FOC if you are unhappy, I didn't.

On the 1600VVT the sound has deepend a little and drivability is great. Pulls cleanly from 1500rpm/25mph in 5th if you are gentle, is happy to roll along at 20mph in 4th and picks up fine. Hills have very little impact..... Still a bit too noisey for a mature driver but at 54 I'm unlikely to mature soon..... I drive gently around town to avoid too many stares.... but if I pass you on a full chat 3rd gear overtake on a B road, you'll look.....

The emissions tests were fine at MOT, I told the tester to get it hot as I was instucted to, when asked, he forgot and just tested it and it passed...

A worthy modification in my book but others will look and think it's crazy at those prices....

sniper

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds