BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 Old an EMU Suspension Lift?

More
15 Feb 2021 21:18 #232817 by X8GGY
Now then... imagine it with a roofrack fitted! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2021 06:20 #232822 by Lambert
Exactly. This is why I exhibit caution if I have a load on my roof both on and off road. The last thing I want is for Dreadnaught to feel she needs a little lie down!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Feb 2021 11:05 #232838 by 300bhpton

X8GGY wrote: Which will topple first on a sideslope then?...

The one with wheel spacers (or offset rims) or the one without... considering the CofG is higher with the lift fitted...

Probably a negligible difference IMO.

Or put it this way I've trialled 88 Series Land Rovers and Defender 90's. The 90 has a wider axle by a bigger amount than a wheelspacer. But it doesn't perform any better on side slopes real world. Not to any degree that you could drive a course with one vehicle and not with another.

I know in theory a wider stance should give you more stability. But a narrower track may mean you won't need to drive so high up a bank anyhow, and thus less risk of roll over.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2021 19:25 #232863 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Gen 4 Old an EMU Suspension Lift?
I think there are other factors than just track width, I used to trial and SJ413 and I feel the Jimny is far more stable in side slopes. Leaf springs are a factor, if you do hit a bump on a side slopes then the 'bump' you get from them can send you over. I know I tipped the SJ over far more than I have the Jimny.
I've seen most vehicles tip over trialling but can't remember a classic range rover go over, they can get on some crazy angles and stay upright. I think the soft springing that gives the wallowy ride on the road helps.
A guy in our club has a KAP jimny and the springing is noticably pliant compared to mine, again seems to 'walk' over rough stuff with very little rebound. I find that cross axle can be as bad as side slopes, if you get a wheel in the air and it snatches that can send you over,

More
16 Feb 2021 23:44 #232869 by jackonlyjack

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2021 07:04 #232872 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Gen 4 Old an EMU Suspension Lift?
I went 630 degrees with standard seats and belts and it held me in! You have more trouble with the glass and mud and dust from the floor joining you on the journey!!! At least the airbags didn't go off.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds