BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 Old an EMU Suspension Lift?

More
14 Feb 2021 18:14 #232777 by wjamieson
Hi

Anyone here installed the Old Man EMU suspension lift?

stormcustoms.com/product/25-suspension-lift-jimny-18-ek2608a1/

Any feedback, lessons learned etc? In hindsight was it a good choice?

Any lift raises centre of Gravity which is not a good thing however I believe based on various reviews of other lifts it improves on the general handling and ride quality particularly when in windy conditions. Would not be happy if I spent the money and general driving was compromised.

Appreciate any real life experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2021 18:26 #232779 by Soeley
I have,  SEE HERE .
I improves the ride significantly on the road, it doesn't crash over lumps and bumps like it did before. There are some full width speed humps near me and is a 20 mph zone, I used have to slow down to about 15 as going over them the back wheels felt like you were driving off a 6 inch step. With the OME 40mm lift, you can do 30 and it is really smooth over them, certainly at the 20 mph speed limit you don't even know they are there now. 

I have done one day on the lanes and one at the pay and play quary and the off performance doesn't seem to be affected in a negative way due to the slight increase in stiffness. Not heard anyone say a bad thing after fitting the OME kit.

More
14 Feb 2021 18:50 #232780 by wjamieson
Thanks Soeley. Particularly pleased to see your improved ride quality etc is on standard wheels without spacers. I was bit concerned that you had to fit spacers to get the improvement and I don't really want to install spacers.

More
14 Feb 2021 18:59 #232781 by Soeley
I have seen that comment of FB, not really sure how wheel spacers improve the ride? Could be the placebo effect 

More
14 Feb 2021 19:13 #232782 by wjamieson
I believe the thinking is if you increase the height then you increase the centre of gravity so adding spacers increasing the width negates the negative effect of the increase in height and provides greater stability.

More
14 Feb 2021 19:52 #232784 by Soeley
Which will work to a degree on a car with sports suspension i.e. very low ride height and stiff suspension, but not on a Jimny. When you grab the roof and rock it side to side the wheels don't move.

More
14 Feb 2021 23:59 #232789 by fordem
I have not yet fitted OME to my Gen 4, primarily because it's not yet a month old, and I want to at least get it run-in and to the first service, I'm also waiting on the dealer to get back to me on how it will impact my warranty.

I have however, installed OME on other Suzukis and Soeley's experience matches mine, a significant increase in ride comfort.

Yes, a taller vehicle with a higher center of gravity will tend to roll more, but OME deals with this by using a stiffer spring and valving their shocks to match. Other lifts, especially suspension spacer lifts may not provide the same results.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Feb 2021 07:04 #232791 by Lambert

wjamieson wrote: I believe the thinking is if you increase the height then you increase the centre of gravity so adding spacers increasing the width negates the negative effect of the increase in height and provides greater stability.

There's no meaningful dynamic impact on the handling of a Jimny that can be attributed to fitting wheel spacers, simply the geometry on a live axle is such that the only way to increase the roll stability would be to increase the distance between the road springs and the centre of the axle. Yes wheel spacers do increase the base of support which does come into affect on a side slope but the increase in the width of the whole axle expressed as a percentage over standard is so small that any advantage is difficult to quantify and even harder to notice. That isn't to say that spacers don't have any benefits as they can improve aesthetic aspects and in certain situations they can provide additional clearance. But in general terms anyone saying they make a difference to the stability of a live axle is either trying to sell some or trying to justify having bought some. This is not the case with independent suspension where the geometry is different.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Feb 2021 11:03 #232794 by Roger Fairclough
Fitting wheel spacers increases the load on the wheel bearings and king pin bearings. The material used is also significant as I have seen aluminium ones bent into a wave form because the use of secondary wheel bolts ie. spacer bolts to hub and wheel bolts to spacer is a poor engineering substitute for longer wheel bolts of suitable material that uses the spacer purely as a spacer and not a load bearing medium..

Roger

More
15 Feb 2021 17:59 #232811 by X8GGY
Which will topple first on a sideslope then?...

The one with wheel spacers (or offset rims) or the one without... considering the CofG is higher with the lift fitted...
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Feb 2021 18:17 #232813 by Lambert
If you were to scale that image up to actual size of a Jimny axle then the spacers would be very large. 40 or 60mm over the track width of a Jimny at around 1355 is in real terms less than 5% so like I said before it would be difficult to to feel a difference. I certainly wouldn't feel confident pushing further up a steep side slope just because I had an extra 5% track width.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Feb 2021 20:02 #232814 by Roger Fairclough
I have been driven on the 45 degree sideslope at the Rover test ground at Solihull and survived but that was a smooth concrete surface .Now take the same slope but this time make it a rough hard earth surface. Hit a bump on that stuff and the jolt will easily unbalance the motor and over you go. Physics is all very well but we live in the real world.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds