BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Vacuum Hub bolts

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2021 17:03 - 05 Feb 2021 17:06 #232504 by RayPaterson
Vacuum Hub bolts was created by RayPaterson
I have broken one of the E10 head bolts that hold on the vacuum hub cover. The torque wrench hadn't clicked and there was that wrong feeling you get just as a bolt shears. I am expecting a lot of fun extracting it as it broke almost flush with the surface.  I have bought left hand drill bits and stud extractors but putting the job off.
The bolts are about £7 - 8 each and it seems to make sense to replace the lot.  For about £27 I can buy 50 of these - www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/BO_ScrewBolt_Unbrako_SHCap_M8.html  - that way I can throw away a full set every time I take them out for less than the price of one Suzuki bolt.
My question is - will they be a suitable replacement?  Should I look for a regular Torx instead?

Thank you

Ray
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 17:06 by RayPaterson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2021 17:50 #232506 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Vacuum Hub bolts
I have often wondered why these bolts are so fancy on the Jimny, to my untrained eye they just hold a cover on. Any reason other than they are just tight to achieve a vacuum seal without a gasket?
I can't recall the bolt size, but if M8 as indicated by the link then 12.9 grade should be good to 40NM. Again I can't recall the torque figure required, but it's about or less than this they should be fine.
I Would try to get something with a better corrosion finish than the black passivate, they will rust up faster than the Jimny 

Just my opinion.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayPaterson

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2021 18:39 #232507 by RayPaterson
Replied by RayPaterson on topic Vacuum Hub bolts
I have just found that the original bolt is described by DIN34800.  Can't find anyone selling them yet.  All of the socket head bolts seem to be self-colour, bzp or stainless.

More
05 Feb 2021 18:46 - 05 Feb 2021 18:51 #232509 by Scimike
According to a quick search they appear to be 8.8, but it also appears to be more about the head shape "small flange" rather than the strength. I would still be happy at 12.9.
www.fastenerdata.co.uk/fasteners/socket/...ade-88-din34800.html

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 18:51 by Scimike.

More
05 Feb 2021 18:58 #232510 by Scimike
www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/m8-metric-12...el-socket-cap-bolts/

Sticking with M8 although I remember the being smaller, but it's been a while since I had them out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RayPaterson

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2021 19:03 - 05 Feb 2021 19:06 #232511 by RayPaterson
Thank you, I was just looking at Spalding.  I am still learning about this - thought I had read that 12.9 is higher spec that 88 but the torque on these 48NM which seems a lot.  I will take one out tomorrow to check the size.  Need to find out whether it is a fine thread as well.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 19:06 by RayPaterson.

More
05 Feb 2021 20:11 #232516 by Scimike
Yes 12.9 is a higher spec than 8.8 and can take a higher torque. You also need to check if they are metric fine or course. If in doubt just visit a local engineering supplier and show them the offending item, they are usually very helpful and cheaper than eBay etc.

More
05 Feb 2021 20:24 #232517 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Vacuum Hub bolts
They are indeed "normal" M8 thread bolts, as "we" supply with spacer rings (to fit SJ hubs) etc...

I hate to disagree with Scimike, but from experience I'd go with 8.8s... 12.9s are more inclined to sheer... I once blew all 6 free wheel hub bolts on my old Vitara with twin LSDs, an SJ crawler box and a Centreforce (on/off!) clutch rescuing a Land Rover at Tom's Farm back in the day... I'd also reference the Diesel Brother's episode where they built the Diesel Helipcoter, they also found that 12.9s were more serceptible to sheer than 8.8s which are a bit more maluable than brittle...

More
05 Feb 2021 21:40 - 05 Feb 2021 21:41 #232518 by Scimike
No problem being disagreed with, just playing it safe and simply going by the torque figures quoted for 8.8 and 12.9, the latter being about 45NM which is closer to the Suzuki figure quoted by Ray. I personally don't understand why they are so tight.
Havefun

Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 21:41 by Scimike.

More
05 Feb 2021 21:56 #232519 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Vacuum Hub bolts
They don't just hold the hub on. They transmit all the drive from the axle to the wheel.. M8x1.25, 40mm length. I have replaced mine wth socket cap (allen key) bolts to do away with the obscure E10 bolt head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
05 Feb 2021 22:14 #232520 by Scimike
Ah ok, that will be why I suppose. I need to take a closer look the next time I have them apart.
TaMike

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2021 22:31 #232521 by RayPaterson
Hi, If I understand right, you sell the bolts? I was going to replace both sets of not too expensive.

Ray

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds