BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2014 Gen 3 Interior light

More
04 Feb 2021 15:07 #232471 by Tikka 260
Hi Everyone,
A new problem for me, without any prior symptoms the interior light remains ON, I've checked the door and tailgate switches and they appear to be functioning as they should, I've also checked and cleaned the inside of the switch housing on the mirror mounting. Problem remains. Is there a control module somewhere that may be causing the problem? I am no electrical wizard at all, but I know a man who can understand auto electrics if we just had some idea of what we are looking for?

Any suggestions will be most welcome, and thanks in advance.

ATB

Peter 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Feb 2021 18:22 #232478 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
Have you opened up the door switches beyond just pushing the outer rubber bits?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Feb 2021 19:43 #232482 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
Had the same problem with one of our Jimnys and the opposite as in wouldn't come on!
Try a few layers of tape where the switch plunger meets the door jam when closed , if after a few layers it goes out , th switch hadps gone past its housing , either replace switch or leave tape .

More
04 Feb 2021 19:51 #232483 by Tikka 260
Replied by Tikka 260 on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
Thanks for the input, I'll give that a GO tomorrow IF it stops raining out there

More
04 Feb 2021 20:01 #232484 by Tikka 260
No, I'm reluctant to start pulling stuff to bits just to eyeball it. If there is something specific to look for then I'll go ahead, but with my electrical expertise I''m no better than a sightless person.

More
04 Feb 2021 20:05 #232485 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
The door switches connect a wire to the frame. When the door is closed, the the wire is disconnected. I would disassemble the switch in the drivers door first an check if, when closed the wire is disconnected.

More
04 Feb 2021 20:33 #232488 by Tikka 260
Thanks, appreciate the input.

More
05 Feb 2021 14:10 #232501 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
The door switches come out of the frame after removing one screw. If it is not a switch perhaps a wire has chafed and is shorting to the metal. If you take the switches out and the light goes off you have found the problem switch, but if it is a wire it might be harder.

There is no control box, just plain wiring.

There was someone on here before Xmas who had mouse in the car, chewed through the seatbelt and some cables, could that be the problem?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Feb 2021 14:16 #232502 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 2014 Gen 3 Interior light
Just had another thought, my interior lights come on when I unlock the car, at least for a few seconds and then go out, so there must be some sort of relay/timer connected to the interior light from the unlock mechanism, perhaps that has failed.

Do the lights go out when you lock the car with all doors closed? If they do it might well be the lock/unlock box. If they stay on when you lock the car it still looks like a switch or wire.

Does the light go out, if you move the switch on the light to off? I think mine is three position, Off, door activated or on, if it stays on regardless, I then suspect the light fitting or switch in the light.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tikka 260

More
05 Feb 2021 16:48 #232503 by Tikka 260
Many Thanks for your advice, it gives me some avenues to check out. Incidentally the key fob operated central locking ceased to work late yesterday.

The interior light will switch off using the built in 3 position switch in the OFF position, but remains ON when placed in the central position, door operated, So, it appears to be either the door switch(s) and or the door locking component that is causing the fault, or an earth short somewhere in the wiring.

More
02 Mar 2021 10:03 #233389 by Tikka 260
Thank You All for offering your advice, thankfully the fault has been traced to the spade connector on the rear door switch which had corroded through and sheared off, making a short to earth from the tattered remains of the spade connector.
The offending wire has been isolated and everything is now back to normal, and the central locking system is also operating as it should. A replacement door switch is on order and will be fitted in the fullness of time.

If anyone wants or needs a Central locking control module, I have one available from a "breaker", it works fine.

Thanks again
ATB
Peter

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds