BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Differential whine noise gen4 jimny jb74

More
08 Sep 2022 13:55 #244902 by fordem

We took delivery of our gen 4 two Saturdays ago, the gear whine was the first thing I noticed - it's not a "bad bearing" whine, but it is noticeable, especially if you're coming from a second or third gen GV.

The gear whine on this vehicle was eventually traced (almost nine months after we took delivery) to insufficient lubricant in the transfer case - the vehicle was taken back to the dealership and a formal (written) complaint made, the case was drained & refilled, the gear whine is now reduced but still noticeable, and I am pushing to have the case replaced under warranty.

A few weeks back we were given an automatic transmission Jimny to "test drive" to compare the noise, (our Jimny has the manual transmission) and the automatic was significantly quieter, we're waiting on the dealership to 'ex-warehouse" a manual transmission Jimny to allow an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

I have considered installing additional sound damping material, but it's not going to happen until I've resolved the transfer case issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Sep 2022 17:15 #244905 by Lambert
My gen3 automatic is virtually silent too, certainly not as loud as my 2011 manual and then that wasn't noisy.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Sep 2022 21:14 #244910 by lightning
Our Gen 4 is now on 10,500 miles and still no noticeable whine from the transmission.

The transmission oils were changed at the second service.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds