BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Differential whine noise gen4 jimny jb74

• Abilid
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2021 04:20 #232307 by Abilid
Hello everyone 
I buy brand new 2020 jimny , I notice a whine noise ( like diff pinion and bearing whine) from the car
I take it to the dealer and the technician take a ride with me to hear the noise and he say it's normal and all jimny have it ! 
Is that really normal?  And do you notice a whine sound in your car (especially at 40+ kmph) ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2021 04:27 #232308 by Lambert
All Jimny are loud compared with a normal car. It's not to say that you could have an issue but it would have to be a quite invasive noise. Would you be able to record it and post it to the Internet on YouTube for instance?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Jan 2021 10:38 #232313 by Roger Fairclough
I am so glad I fitted a sound deadening kit to my Gen.4. It's no Rolls Royce but it makes a big difference.

Roger

• Lasse
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2021 13:44 #232320 by Lasse
Replied by Lasse on topic Differential whine noise gen4 jimny jb74
But it will also add a lot of weight..!! Where did you place the sound deadening?

More
29 Jan 2021 15:26 #232322 by Roger Fairclough
It obviously added weight but probably not more than 20 lbs. I bought it from NoiseKiller Acoustics (UK) ltd. They are in Oldham. The full kit covers the underside of the bonnet , inside the front doors the side panels, the boot well, the rear area under the back seat, and under the front seats and footwell area. They use 4 types of material. Cost was £231 and included a Luxury Welcome mat 75cm x 45cm. I used this for the kitchen door!

Roger

• WirezFree
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2021 20:25 #232331 by WirezFree
Replied by WirezFree on topic Differential whine noise gen4 jimny jb74
Hi,

I have been looking at that Company in Oldham.
So what is the quality of the materials like..??
Was it all pre-cut, or did you need to cut to fit..??

Cheers,,, Dave

More
29 Jan 2021 21:39 #232333 by Roger Fairclough
It's all precut and marked as to where each piece goes. I needed to trim a couple of pieces to fit the side panels. They do a fit at your home if you prefer.

Roger

More
29 Jan 2021 22:27 #232336 by lightning
l have to say, l don't hear any whine on our Gen 4 Jimny.
lt's a 2020 one and has done only 3,000 miles. l didn't feel the need to add any extra sound insulation.

More
04 Feb 2021 14:31 #232469 by fordem
We took delivery of our gen 4 two Saturdays ago, the gear whine was the first thing I noticed - it's not a "bad bearing" whine, but it is noticeable, especially if you're coming from a second or third gen GV.

More
07 Sep 2022 20:47 #244893 by VadJB74
Hey, I have the same and this is kinda obsession for me, so the long story short, after 1k km I’ve changed ring and pinion to 4.625 (HF) after that noticed this weird sound, not sure whether it was before or not. I can hear this noise in between 40+ to 60+ and only when I release the throttle. Do you have the same behavior?
Now I also install reduction gears to t-case (15/104)
T-case became louder, but noise from t-case not so unpleasant as this whine noise when I release throttle.
Tried driving without front/rear prop shaft, so without rear I can hear this noise permanently (just in between 40 and 60)
Any ideas?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Sep 2022 03:23 #244894 by Lambert
If you have changed the ring and pinion and are getting a new noise it's likely because the mesh pattern and or backlash is wrong. Did you set it up yourself or have a shop do it? It's not just a matter of swapping out of old for new, there's tolerances to observe.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Sep 2022 12:50 #244901 by VadJB74
It wasn’t me, but guys quite experienced, today I’m checking without rear prop shaft, and now I can hear this sound permanently ( without releasing throttle) between 45 and 60, so can it be diff? I’m about to buy the new (used) one, but right now not sure for 100%

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds