BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

E10 petrol U.K.

• Bentonni
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2021 22:17 #232048 by Bentonni
E10 petrol U.K. was created by Bentonni
With E10 petrol soon to become the mainstay fuel on the forecourts in the U.K. i was just wondering if anyone knew if this would have a detrimental effect. I read a generic tabloid article today that mentioned pre 2011 vehicles could be impacted.  I'm a recent owner of a 2008 Jimny so was curious and thought would ask those likely more in the know ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 22:55 #232049 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic E10 petrol U.K.
Never heard this been a problem. Is it 10% etanol? Must be higher content to affect gaskets in carburetors. In Norway they can add 5% etanol or 7% bio diesel to the normal Petrol.

All cars newer than 2000 should cope, and most likely all european brands after 1980.

All jimny is ok.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bentonni

More
22 Jan 2021 13:10 #232066 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic E10 petrol U.K.
Interesting article from the RAC

www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/wha...could-it-affect-you/

Seems unleaded already has 5% Ethanol (E5) and this is been increased to 10% (E10). All cars after 2011 are compatible and most since 2002.

Unleaded (95 RON) is E5, so if you are worried use Super Unleaded (97 - 99 RON), that is unlikely to contain any Ethanol.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Jan 2021 17:53 #232085 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic E10 petrol U.K.
Lots or other countries have been using E10 for several years now. Travelling around Spain you see a lot more old cars driving around than you'd ever see here, so they obviously don't have any problems.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a Jimny regardless of age. I've used it in various 20 year old motorbikes on the continent and not had issues, inspite of people on the internet telling me it is the devil and will destroy everything.

More
22 Jan 2021 18:25 - 22 Jan 2021 18:27 #232087 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic E10 petrol U.K.
I personally believe this is similar to the switch to unleaded which would burn valves and GL5 dissolving your gearbox. Yes it's based on a element of fact, but the reality for most users is no noticeable issues. My 1960 Series 2 Land Rover has been happy on Unleaded, E5 and GL5, so was my 1978 Scimitar, both run daily with no hard valve inserts.
The main issue I see is the possibility of extra corrosion in stored vehicles. Ethanol is hydroscopic, so potential for extra water accumulating in the tank. Answer - drain it or use a fuel stabilizer.
Alternatively just drive it. Sure it's possible that eventually a rubber fuel pipe or diaphragm may fail in E10, but I bet you will have a long wait. At the fail point swap it for an E10 compliant replacement.

That was my plan with the Land Rover when Unleaded came in. Still waiting for the valves to fail !!!!

oh and the Jimny will be fine. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Jan 2021 18:27 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jan 2021 19:09 #232089 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic E10 petrol U.K.
I won't be worried about using it. As said above, if something fails then a new genuine part will, one hopes, be to a compatible specification for example fuel system seals.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Jan 2021 20:06 #232092 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic E10 petrol U.K.
This question was also posted a while ago.

I asked Suzuki Technical on behalf of members and they confirmed that both the Gen3 and Gen4 will be ok with E10

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Bentonni

• Bentonni
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2021 16:48 #232115 by Bentonni
Replied by Bentonni on topic E10 petrol U.K.
Thanks all for your replies. Good to know. 

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds