BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2019 Jimny Intermittent Rear Wiper Mod Gen4 (JB74)

More
16 Jan 2021 21:29 - 16 Jan 2021 21:53 #231857 by Soeley
I now have a working variable intermittent rear wiper on my Jimny.

First off, I would like to say a big “Thank You” to Martin Lines for helping with this and giving me some great guidance. I can honestly say without his help I wouldn’t have done it.

I have the Swift wiper stalk on mine so I have the front variable wipers, I think I am correct in saying this rear wiper mod will work just the same with the standard Jimny wiper stalk?

The basis of the mod is a Programmable Intermittent Wiper Relay, this allows you set the required interval between wipes.

I am going to let the wiring diagrams and pictures do most of the talking, it will be pretty self-explanatory.

The way it is wired is using 3 relays (numbered 1 to 3 on the diagram):
·        Relay 1 – Standard Relay 30-amp, 4 pin.
·        Relay 2 - Programmable Intermittent Wiper Relay.
·        Relay 3 – Standard Relay 30-amp, 4 pin.

Relay 1 is to invert the switching from -ve to +ve switching to supply Relay 2. Relay 3 then inverts the switching back to -ve to suit the Jimny wiring. There is a diode soldered across terminals 85 and 86 on Relay 3, this is to prevent reverse voltage from the relay that would in effect turn off the Programmable Intermittent Wiper Relay.

Once this mod is fitted to the wiring, to use you simply switch on the rear wiper, switch off for 10 seconds* and switch back on. You then have a 10 second intermittent wipe.
*between 0.5 and 45 seconds. However, I have found in use if you just switch on and leave on it seems to do a default 2 second intermittent wipe.

I have to add, you do seem to lose the constant wipe, there is a minimal delay on the lowest setting.

So, to the pictures.

Getting the workshop manual came in handy. The grey wire going from the switch to the wiper motor is where we want to insert our bank of relays.

This is the wiring diagram for the 3 relays.

My second attempt at finding a suitable location for the relays worked out well, just behind the pull-out panel by the driver’s right knee (RHD model).A little bracket I made from some 25mm L section ally.

Relays mounted and a rivnut for ease (a nut and bolt will do just as well).

The relay holders are bolted in place, the terminals that come with the holders are the non-insulated type and push and lock in to place on the holder.

Whole assembly fits nicely in place and secured by just the one bolt.

With that in place it’s just a matter of running the Grey and the Grey/Black wire up the steering column (just follow the existing wires) and up to the wiper switch connector.There are two Grey wires on the connector (one thick and one thin), the one we want is the thin one arrowed bellow.

Remove the connector from the switch.

The white plastic strip unclips to give a view of the terminals inside.
For me removing that Grey connector was probably the hardest part. I did buy a set of pin removal tools, but ended up using a small allan key and a bit of force.

This is the devil

This is how it all connects together.
Wire (A.) goes into the connector block.
Wire (B.) connects to the original Grey wire we pulled from the connector block

And there is my new Grey wire pushed into the connector (bottom one).

The two (B) wires connected

Some shrink sleeve over the connection
The crimp connector to use in the connector is not the normal bought from car spares shop small terminal. It is more slimline and squarer in cross-section.The one on the left is too big to fit in the block, luckily, I had some of these on the right from a previous project. That fitted with a bit of manipulation, so I’m not sure what the perfect terminal part number would be.

Here is the Shopping List
Programable Intermittent Relay
Standard Relay
Relay Holder
Pin Removal Tools
Diodes
Diode Video
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2021 21:53 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2021 21:55 #231859 by Soeley
I meant to do a short video clip to show it in action today, but forgot. I'll add one tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jan 2021 05:43 #231862 by Lambert
Excellent write up. Thanks for your efforts.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jan 2021 06:11 #231863 by lookonimages
Thank you so much. This is so high on my to do list. Will try and source all the goodies this week.

Again thank you. This is realy appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
17 Jan 2021 07:27 - 17 Jan 2021 07:54 #231865 by mlines
Looking good, glad it's come together!

Not sure why it's upset the continuous operation though. Sounds like we have not maintained the original circuit by just adding to it, perhaps the normal ground has been broken somewhere in our wiring scheme?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 17 Jan 2021 07:54 by mlines.

More
17 Jan 2021 08:55 #231867 by Soeley

Soeley wrote: With that in place it’s just a matter of running the Grey and the Grey/Black wire up the steering column (just follow the existing wires) and up to the wiper switch connector.There are two Grey wires on the connector (one thick and one thin), the one we want is the thin one arrowed bellow.

I forgot to also say, (but I'm sure it is obvious) once the Grey & Grey/Black wires are connected, the Red wires want connecting to a fused ingition live supply and the the Black eart wires to a suitable Earth point.

More
17 Jan 2021 11:17 #231875 by lookonimages
Hope this go to wiki also

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
17 Jan 2021 19:52 - 17 Jan 2021 19:56 #231891 by lightning
Nice job fitting that system.
However,
l devised a much simpler system for my Gen 4 Jimny, basically l just fitted a delay unit in the feed to the rear wiper, inside the rear door.
The wiper doesn't have a constant mode now, but who needs that anyway?
And the delay is fixed, but again l am not bothered about that either.
When you turn on the rear wiper it gives one sweep, then one about every ten seconds.
Turning the rear wiper off then on again at the stalk produces one sweep of the wiper instantly if needed, then reverts to a single sweep every ten seconds or so.

lt only took fifteen minutes to fit.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2021 19:56 by lightning.

More
17 Jan 2021 20:32 #231893 by Soeley
Nice, I'm sure there are few different way to do this, maybe with slightly different outcomes.

More
18 Jan 2021 10:49 #231909 by RainerK
Lightning, this sounds like a very interesting system.

Would it be possible, that you give more details. A circuit diagram would be great and some links to the installed components and maybe some pictures?

Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
18 Jan 2021 10:57 #231911 by Roger Fairclough
I ditto RainerK. More info please.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
24 Jan 2021 20:45 #232156 by Soeley
We have hopefully come up with a little tweak to this mod for those that have the late style Swift wiper switch fitted. Hopefully this will give you normal ON (consatnt wipe) and INT (programable wipe).

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds