BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Battery help

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2021 21:22 #232014 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Battery help
If the 8.5 volts was during cranking then that may indicate a reducecd capacty in the battery.  Try a trickle charge, then re-test with the battery full. An auto electrician (or an RAC man) can also do a CCA test to confirm the situation. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 15:02 #232037 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Battery help
With 14.7V after starting I would think that the battery is worn out. Maybe some charger with desulfurization can save this battery - definitely worth a try but I would not get my hopes up and even if the battery works I would not really trust it anymore.
Regarding a new battery I would try to get a decent one if I wanted to use the car for the next years. They cost a little more but if you take your time the difference is not too much.
In my opinion really good ones are Optima yellow top but they cost more than a little more but I can usually use them for 10 years so for me it is often worth it.

More
21 Jan 2021 18:46 #232042 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Battery help
Most car batteries nowadays are made in Asia. In Some warm country. They do definately not make them like they used to, even well known brands. I know it might get colder here in Norway than most of Britain but still I would recommend an AGM battery. Mine are not a well known brand but they really are so much better than the average lead acid. Had to squeeze it in and rebuild the battery tray but so pleased with the result.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds