BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4wd problems

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2020 15:31 #231265 by Roseblade
4wd problems was created by Roseblade
Hello, newby here, Please can someone help ? My jimny is a 2008 vvt manual.
The problem occurred suddenly, The car was working perfectly well when I went out to my woods, put it in 4H for about 20 yards up a steep hill then parked up with no apparent issue.
When it comes time to leave I start up, do the 20 yards again (this is on well compacted stone track with no ruts but quite steep) go to change back to 2 wd and nothing. Stuck in 4H and no flashing lights.
I did some reading and decided to get new manual hubs as much to avoid future vacuum issues as to hopefully solve the existing problem.
However I have fitted the Hubs (no Problem) and linked the vacuum pipes with one of the removed hoses.
Now the car is still stuck in 4H and the light is flashing.
I have read that you can fake the vacuum signal for the controller by shorting the wires at the sensor below the battery tray.
What is not clear however is, whether the short has to be momentary as in a quick touch or can you simply leave it shorted for the system to function normally in use? I would like to disconnect the vacuum system completely as it now has no function for the hubs. I know the controller needs to have the correct electrical signals for it to carry out its function to operate the actuator on the T box. Is it really as simple as leaving the 2 wires shorted.
I also realise there may be a fault at the T box but I just want to rule out the vacuum system at this stage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2020 17:29 #231268 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 4wd problems
Transmission wind up. Driving on a grippy surface in 4wd will have cause your transmission to wind up. The electric actuators in the transfer case aren't very powerful so if there is any load on the gears they won't disengage. Normally reversing or turning will release the load on the gears and it will go back into 2wd.
It's nothing to do with the vacuum hubs.

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2020 21:10 #231285 by Roseblade
Replied by Roseblade on topic 4wd problems
Thanks for the reply, I realise about the wind up issue and I tried reversing etc several times it made no difference. I realise the problem may well be with the actuator and I will come to that but I wanted to deal with a potential problem with the hubs first, that way I can rule them out. They have been slow engaging for some time and the pipes are well rusty.
So the issue now is how do I fake the vacuum ok signal to fool the controller into action.
Before I fitted the manual hubs the he 4X4 light was out but now its flashing, suggesting to me there may still be a vacuum issue (maybe in the valves or pipes) so I just want to eliminate that issue.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Dec 2020 04:22 #231288 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4wd problems
As long as you have sealed off the vacuum pipes up near the solenoids then that should be an end to that aspect. Have you examined the wires going into the transfer box for damage, they are quite exposed and relatively vulnerable if you don't have a belly guard. Also the switch is known to fail but that's less common than a wire defect.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roseblade

More
29 Dec 2020 10:20 #231290 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 4wd problems
I relieved the wind up
Find some deep mud/gravel/snow and spin the wheels
4K revs and drop the clutch like a boy racer :laugh:

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2020 10:44 #231292 by Roseblade
Thanks, I have only blanked the pipes down by the wheels so far, next thing was to try up by the valves. Thing is I really wanted to eliminate the valves and the entire vacuum system as they no longer function for the hubs it seems to me to be unnecessary stuff to go wrong and potentially stop the transfer box from working correctly (once I have got that sorted).
If I can fake the required signal then the valves etc are no longer an issue.
As for the Transfer box I did manage a quick look at the wires before the weather stopped me. They all appear intact but soon as I get chance I will get underneath and give all the contacts a good thorough clean.
I know the box is probably all wound up but I don't have soft ground anywhere near me to do it rough style. I was thinking it might be better to take the actuator off and give it a good check over and make sure it at least works off load before I start bashing things around.

More
29 Dec 2020 10:51 #231294 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic 4wd problems
In oder to relieve any tension you can always jack up on wheel. This might be much easier than many other checks. Be careful the wheel might initially rotate a little bit.

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2020 10:56 #231295 by Roseblade
Perhaps I should also explain how I use the Jimny,
I have it as a work truck, I dont go looking for off road but it happens in my line of work.
Most of my driving is on road to site, then down stoned forestry tracks to the work spot.
I am often towing a small trailer full off logs. When the tracks are wet they can prove to slippy for 2wd specially on steep sections, Hence the need for 4wd, however this is only in short bursts and at low speed. I dont go off the tracks unless the ground is firm summer only. I dont have a bash guard under neath yet but I intend to make an alloy one . It should be good enough just to stop gravel flying up.
I bought a jimny rather than a big pickup because a lot of my driving is down narrow devon lanes so the size of the jimny is ideal and with the back seats out it has enough space for my saws & kit.

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2020 11:00 #231296 by Roseblade
Thanks I will try that.

I have a horrible feeling that the problem might be terminal for the transfer box. When it got stuck in 4wd I had to drive it 20 miles home and some of that was on dual carriageway. Far from ideal but I had no choice at the time.

More
29 Dec 2020 11:09 #231298 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:4wd problems
Hit it with a hammer on the actuator whilst someone presses the buttons, seriously!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2020 11:41 #231299 by Roseblade
Replied by Roseblade on topic Re:4wd problems
Thanks, as soon as I can collar someone I will give it a try.

• Roseblade
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2020 12:46 - 29 Dec 2020 12:53 #231301 by Roseblade
Replied by Roseblade on topic Re:4wd problems
Right so far I have now blanked the vacuum pipes by the valves under the battery tray.
I have seperated cleaned and spayed wd40 in the contacts of all the wiring plugs at the back of the transfer box (no sign of corrosion or damage). I have tried the reversing trick really hard, I have belted the actuator with a large copper faced hammer so hard that I now have a hairline crack in it.
Result, Nothing. Still stuck in 4wd drive, light still flashing.

To me it seems only four possible issues,
1 The controller still isnt getting a good vacuum signal from the sensor.
2 The wiring/switching or the controller itself is stuffed.
3 The actuator is total stuffed.
4 The whole transfer box is total stuffed.
No one has actually answered my original question yet so that I can eliminate no 1.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 12:53 by Roseblade.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds