BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Body lift

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Dec 2020 17:43 #231242 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Body lift
Buy a few of these, or similar, for your grinder...

www.toolstation.com/abracs-wire-twist-knot-cup-brush/p17385

then see whats left... and start with fresh metal from there :-)

P.S. DONT FORGET THE PPE USING THIS SORT OF THING :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2020 17:53 - 27 Dec 2020 18:58 #231243 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Body lift
I'm going all out on it I think. I've got plenty wire wheels and flapper discs.

Once the body is split from the chassis, I might send it to the local shotblasters, or maybe do it myself. Will just have to see what the costs are and weigh up either hiring kit or just getting someone to do it.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2020 18:58 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
27 Dec 2020 21:29 #231252 by Mike G
Thanks for all the responses guys. Very helpful suggestions.

I'll hopefully get the body split in the next week or so and then I'll get all the welding done over the coming month. I think a few of those captive bolts will need to be replaced and I'm guessing I'll have to cut in from the floor of the body to get access to them. Apart from that, it's mainly grinding and painting that will take the bulk of the time.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
28 Dec 2020 11:30 #231260 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Body lift
I would replace all bolts as a matter of course. I suggest you use a 1-1.6 mm cutting disc and slice off the end of the bolt. Then turn the cutting disc through 90degrees and slice upwards to cut the nut in half. Yes you can try all the other ideas first and suffer the aggro involved but why bother. Two cuts per bolt and job done.

Roger

More
28 Dec 2020 11:45 #231261 by Mike G
You're probably right given that most of those bolts do look beyond use.

Do you know if the captive bolt heads are easy to access, it looks to me like every one will need the floor cut open at access and replace.

More
28 Dec 2020 17:02 #231266 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Body lift
Sorry Mike, I can give you technical advice on a generic basis but not specific issues relating to Gen.3 motors as I never worked on them.

Roger

More
28 Dec 2020 17:30 #231269 by Mike G
No problem. All advice is appreciated.

Just trying to find out as much information as I can before going straight into the job.

I think I might get the dremel out and cut the nuts off and have a look at how the bolts are mounted once it's split and easier to inspect.

More
28 Dec 2020 17:31 #231270 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Body lift
The body tub 'bolts's head's are between the two skins of the floor... it'll be a helluva job to get to them, you'll have to work out IF you can and then where to cut a flap / square out of the upper floor skin to get to them :(

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Dec 2020 17:32 #231271 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift
I would suggest running a die nut up the exposed thread you can get sets off amazon and eBay for not much money, that along with patience and you should be able to preserve the bolts. If you have to replace it is going to be a bit of a job.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Dec 2020 17:56 #231275 by X8GGY
The ones in front of the doors are 10mm metric fine 1.25mm pitch thread and the ones behind the doors are 12mm metric fine 1.25mm pitch thread...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Dec 2020 18:51 #231281 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Soeley

More
28 Dec 2020 19:01 #231282 by X8GGY
Thanks Lambert! I could do with one of them myself! ;)

There goes some Christmas Cash...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds