BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ring and Pinion Question

• Mozza615
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2020 16:40 #230658 by Mozza615
Ring and Pinion Question was created by Mozza615
Hello All

First post :)

I have tried searching Bigjimny and internet but im stiff left a bit unsure / confused..! sorry if its a stupid question?

I was hoping someone could confirm so i have an 2000 Jimny and from what i gather from this forum it has an 8 bolt RG and not a 10 going from its year (its also a SOHC engine)
I have been looking at different ratio's of Ring and Pinion gears, it would appear the back is 10 Bolt but the issue i am having is finding any that say they suit the 8 Bolt fronts, now the possibly stupid question part..! will the ring and pinion from a 10 bolt RG fit in my 8 Bolt RG? as wasn't sure this effected that, or if physical size was different?

Hope that makes some sense and anyone that can help shed a bit of clarity on this would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sergiu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2020 18:02 #230660 by Sergiu
Replied by Sergiu on topic Ring and Pinion Question
A 10 bolt ring gear will not work with an 8 bolt differential, like the one you most likely have in your Jimny. The gears themselves are the same size, it's just the number of bolts that hold the ring gear to the differential that is different, the holes will just not line up. If you want to change the ring gear & pinion ratio to a different one and the only option you can find is for a 10 bolt ring gear then you can change the differential to a 10 bolt one from a later Jimny, not sure how easy it would be to find just the front differential, but it is an option

• Mozza615
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2020 10:50 #230673 by Mozza615
Replied by Mozza615 on topic Ring and Pinion Question
Thanks very much for getting back to me Sergiu.

So it would appear that i need to find one for an 8 or change to a 10.

I can't find an 8 listed anywhere not sure if anyone else knows of someone that sells them? but if not i guess changing to a 10 looks to be the possible way forward then.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds