BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Current consumption when locked (Gen 3)

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
02 Dec 2020 15:07 #230594 by DrRobin
My Gen 3 is draining the battery as I am not using it much during lockdown. I measured the current consumption with the doors locked (using a clamp on current probe) at 145mA. 5mA of that is my OBD2 adapter and I have an Android head unit, but that is off and only supposed to draw about 10mA.

Is 130mA typical for the Jimny? Given that is 3.12Ahr per day in a couple of weeks on non-use it might drain the battery so it won't start, especially at this time of the year.

My other car draws a lot of power when sat, may be 400 - 500mA, but it has an alarm and they have a reputation for high current draw, it also has a much larger battery, so can cope.

If no one knows I will start pulling fuses until I find what is drawing the current.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2020 15:25 #230595 by Scimike
Don't Know.
But if I can get my clamp on meter working tonight I will measure mine.
In the meantime someone may know the figure.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
02 Dec 2020 19:14 #230611 by Scimike
Sorry, but it looks like my meter is kaput which is sad. Not used it for 10ish years and the reading is bouncing around like a good one. I'll see if we have one at work....

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2020 20:28 #230613 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Current consumption when locked (Gen 3)
130mA is about 1.3W, it may be a warning light, too small for glove box light. A radio will draw about that much. After market alarm systems are notorious for draining batteries.

When doing these measurements, I have the car locked and the keys inside the house, just the bonnet open.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
02 Dec 2020 21:10 #230614 by DrRobin
Thanks guys.

I don’t have an alarm, but do have an aftermarket Android head unit, which stands a good chance of been guilty, except the manufacturer says about 10mA in standby.

The car remote and central locking will take a bit, it might be that, but think 100mA is a bit high.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
03 Dec 2020 15:20 #230633 by Scimike
OK measured today using a Fluke calibrated clip on meter at work. Resolution not great, but locked or open my G3 was a figure of .04 - .05A. Obviously it jumped higher as the doors operated, but always settled as above.
So its indicating a figure around 50mA in rest mode.
Best I can do without placing a DVM in series.
mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
03 Dec 2020 21:18 #230639 by DrRobin
Thanks Mike,

50mA is more like what I expected and no need to put a meter in series the Fluke is fine. I borrowed a LEM/Heme from work, it’s a bit old but still very handy.

I suspect my head unit is taking all of the extra current, trouble is, it has hardly stopped raining here and very cold, so not great weather for messing on outside. I will try tomorrow.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
05 Dec 2020 13:40 #230683 by DrRobin
I have just made an extensive set of tests and confirm that at rest with the doors locked the current is 50mA when clamped round both battery earth cables. If I only clamp round the smaller of the two (bolted to the chassis next to the battery) it is about 20mA, I assumed the bigger cable was for the starter motor so that circuit must take a little current as well.

I have no idea how I got 150mA the other day, but all looks normal now.

Perhaps the battery is going flat as I am not using the car much, then it is only short journeys with the lights on, it’s only happened twice, once in April and again last week so not going to worry any further.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds