BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Coolant leak

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 09:34 #229270 by Cameo543
Coolant leak was created by Cameo543
Morning All. New to Jimny ownership having recently acquired an unloved 2006 convertible M13AA. Recently removed and replaced the throttle body for cleaning and to get to the bottom of a throttle body position sensor fault code. In removing some water pipes, I must have disturbed a failing metal pipe union that now has a pin prick hole in it that delivers a stream of coolant across the engine bay. Bit stuck on how to proceed. Can I solder it for a temporary fix and what part of the engine is this for eventual replacement?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Oct 2020 11:48 #229278 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Coolant leak
Welcome to the forum. That appears to be the thermostat housing. No reason why it won't braze unless the heat turns it into a puddle. I'd be inclined to remove the housing to conduct the repair.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 12:17 #229282 by Cameo543
Replied by Cameo543 on topic Coolant leak
Thanks. With the throttle body and air pipes out the way access isn’t too bad. I’ve cleaned the area to bare metal and it is just one pin sized hole. Would a high temperature soldering iron get anywhere. Not sure I’m confident brazing first time on this. Maybe time to call in professionals

More
23 Oct 2020 21:13 #229441 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Coolant leak
A small blob of chemical metal will be the easiest solution.

Just smear it across when it's cold and not leaking out. If you have to drain the coolant and clean it with brake cleaner, so be it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Oct 2020 09:29 #229443 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Coolant leak
You said it yourself," it's failing" and the pin prick wont be the only problem area. Pipes like that are a factory fit and not a practical DIY replacement. As kirkynut suggested, chemical metal is a practical short term fix that can be done in situ as heat is not required but cleaning the area thoroughly is a must. Be prepared to find other holes as you do the cleaning though.

Roger

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2020 15:19 #229527 by Cameo543
Thanks for the replies. What started as a bad throttle position sensor has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Leak, attempt at brazing which failed. Removed throttle body, intake manifold and everything else to get thermostat housing off. I now find the flange on the spindle that connects the thermostat housing to the water pump assembly is corroded 70% of its perimeter (see pics). Could this be welded? It is just thin steel. I assume that this isn’t a replacement part that can be sourced from anywhere. I suspect whoever had this in the past has been cooling it with tap water!!

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2020 15:23 #229528 by Cameo543
Attachments:

More
28 Oct 2020 17:22 #229534 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Coolant leak
In no particular order.
How much is a s/hand housing?
How much is a new housing?
Do you have a local machine shop who can repair it? Forget about the 2 steel pipes, they are toast. They need to be machined out and replaced with new made to measure pipes. Suzuki will only supply a complete housing with pipes and yes that will probably cost more than a new one.

Roger

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2020 17:52 #229536 by Cameo543
Thanks for the quick reply. I would be happy to buy a new housing if they can be still sourced from Suzuki. Will visit our local dealer tomorrow. After that will try the scrapyard etc.

More
28 Oct 2020 18:12 #229539 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Coolant leak
New housing is around £100 .

I can give you a proper quote if you send me your VIN number

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Cameo543
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Oct 2020 19:11 #229540 by Cameo543
Replied by Cameo543 on topic Re:Coolant leak
Thanks, I’ll pm you the VIN. It’s a wacky Spanish Santana one that never seems to show up on the standard parts site.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds