BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen3 Rear Speaker Installation - Plug Type?

More
06 Sep 2020 10:07 #227816 by Buzz
I'm getting the bits together to install rear speakers in my Gen3.

A bit of googling found a really useful writeup from somebody that's done it before. They showed that there is factory speaker wiring to a 4 pin plug behind the rear passenger side trim.

I don't want to cut into the factory wiring - so want to use the matching plug to go in the 4 pin connector but can't work out what it is. Anybody got any ideas?

Image from the useful write up attached.

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2020 13:35 #227828 by Lambert
I just found some suitably small crimp connectors

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Sep 2020 14:24 #227833 by Buzz
Yeah - that's my plan B - probably crimp some bootlace ferrules on the speaker cable and insert them into the plug and tessa tape it all up.

More
06 Sep 2020 22:21 #227854 by DrRobin
That is what I did, except we had some crimp connector pins which were just the right size at work, they had been there for 15+ years, we have 100s of them. I could send you some in the post, if you can wait a week,I am on holiday and not sure I have any at home. PM me if you want half a dozen?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
07 Sep 2020 18:52 #227889 by Buzz
Thanks for the excellent offer. I'm planning to do this weekend so will hopefully get a ferrule to fit. If not I might come back to you.
Thanks.

More
13 Sep 2020 18:30 #228150 by Buzz
Update:
All done - used bootlace crimps which I flattened at one end so it would slide into the connector ok, tessa taped up to secure it. All boxed up and works a treat.
So that's a new double-din pioneer head unit (with capacitive screen , ApplePlay, handsfree calling etc) and pioneer rear speakers. Much better. :-)
Trim removal was ok - fitting was the usual pain but got there in the end. Never want to remove another piece of trim again! But loving the sound.
For what it would have cost to install the speakers in the factory - probs £10 - it's a shame to have to pull apart the factory fitted trim and seats but it's done now and I'm happy it's gone back ok.
Thanks for your help/advice and the useful guide by danbp.
Buzz.

More
14 Sep 2020 13:26 - 14 Sep 2020 13:27 #228186 by DrRobin
Good stuff Buzz.

After taking the seats out and both panels to fit speakers, I have had them both out again, twice, to fit a tow bar, boot light and also rear camera. The second time and then third time gets much faster.

Like you I have a double DIN head unit (Xtrons) with hands free, DAB, front and rear cameras, tyre pressure monitoring and engine OBD (Torque Pro app) a great addition.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 13:27 by DrRobin.

More
10 Oct 2020 14:25 - 10 Oct 2020 14:27 #228991 by Buzz
In case it helps anyone else. I had some trouble working out the correct fascia trim for my aftermarket pioneer head unit.Connects2 supply two types. For a hole with rounded corners it's CT23SZ16.I ordered this for mine (that doesn't have rounded corners and it did fit and looked ok but wasn't flush to front of dash)For hole with more rectangular shape and squarer corners it's CT24UV26. I later removed other and fitted this and it's perfect (if I do say so myself :) )
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2020 14:27 by Buzz.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds