BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny 2009 gearbox swap

• sealine150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 08:05 #227059 by sealine150
Jimny 2009 gearbox swap was created by sealine150
Good morning,
owning a Jimny 1.6 swap with stock gearbox and electric transfer 30x9.5x15 , the gearbox started making a noise in the first and second gears when I started.
I do not know what it may come from.
what other options are there for changing gearboxes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 08:23 #227061 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny 2009 gearbox swap
The best option is to swap both the gearbox and transfer case with those from a pre-2005 Jimny. This also has the benefit of approximately 10% lower gear ratios which will help compensate for your larger tyres.

You will need to remove a plate in the transmission tunnel for the transfer case lever and the gearbox requires a different mounting bracket which can easily be fabricated. I have also seen some sellers on Facebook offering the gearbox bracket.

More
22 Aug 2020 08:09 #227151 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny 2009 gearbox swap

Busta wrote: The best option is to swap both the gearbox and transfer case with those from a pre-2005 Jimny. This also has the benefit of approximately 10% lower gear ratios which will help compensate for your larger tyres.

You will need to remove a plate in the transmission tunnel for the transfer case lever and the gearbox requires a different mounting bracket which can easily be fabricated. I have also seen some sellers on Facebook offering the gearbox bracket.

Is the mounting bracket something that can be found on the donor car giving the gearbox or is it a bit of an adaptation of the chassis that it achieves?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
22 Aug 2020 11:59 #227162 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny 2009 gearbox swap
I'm not entirely sure. I've not done the swap myself but someone who has done it told me it needed an adapter for the gearbox mount.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Aug 2020 19:30 #227175 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny 2009 gearbox swap
You need the rear mounting bracket from both boxes. Use the gearbox part of the R7me one and weld on the bottom bit of the R72 one to adapt it to be a bit longer. The chassis cross-member that the rear mount goes onto is further back in the VVT chassis ever to slightly from the non VVT one. I think the mounting rubber bush is different slightly too.

The intermediate prop and gearstick/linkage from the R7me box is also needed to use for the conversion. Oh and the rubber gaiter with its mounting plate, t-box gearknob and stick for the transfer box too.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds