BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Aluminum Radiator?

• Hank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2020 18:54 #227047 by Hank
Aluminum Radiator? was created by Hank
Has anyone fitted a aluminum radiator to their jimny? Is it worthwhile? I have an 05 and live in a pretty hot climate and it's coming time to change my radiator so I think an upgrade may be in the works. I also have AC and use it every day so it'd have to fit around that as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Probablynotfrank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2020 20:54 #227050 by Probablynotfrank
Replied by Probablynotfrank on topic Aluminum Radiator?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have one of these fitted
Decent quality and a good bit larger but I haven't noticed a difference because I live in a cold climate.

Decent quality and a good bit larger but I haven't noticed a difference because I live in a cold climate.

More
21 Aug 2020 04:26 - 21 Aug 2020 04:32 #227056 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Aluminum Radiator?
If you find an aluminum radiator at a good price and are sure of its quality, you could install one. I personally don't think going to an aluminum or 3 row radiator is necessary for the Jimny. While an aluminum radiator can be more efficient, the Jimny cooling system has proven itself well in hot environments. As long as the general cooling system is working properly, the stock radiator has proven itself sufficient.

With members from South Africa, the Middle East, Australia as well as here in the Philippines on the forums I belong to, I have never seen cooling problems being a common issue.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 04:32 by zukebob.

More
21 Aug 2020 08:28 #227062 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Aluminum Radiator?
My original radiator had deteriorated so I replaced it with a cheap aluminium radiator from ebay several years ago and have had no issues or complaints. Whether it offers more or less cooling capacity than a good condition original I couldn't say, but as Bob says it is unusual for a Jimny to suffer cooling issues unless something is amiss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hank

More
21 Aug 2020 08:38 - 21 Aug 2020 08:42 #227063 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Aluminum Radiator?
I agree with Zukebob, but I don't have direct experience of hotter climates to back me up.
Nothing wrong in upgrading the radiator if you need to change OEM one as it's faulty, but if everything is working correctly then the original is more than up to the job. So it's a do it when it fails sort of upgrade for me.
The thermostat controls the engine Temperature, so it will ultimately run at the same Temperature even with a more efficient radiator. If you are stationary with high engine revs then a better radiator will help, but even then the standard should cope.

Nice looking radiator.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 08:42 by Scimike.

More
21 Aug 2020 09:30 #227069 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Aluminum Radiator?
When my car did have cooling issues I had consider upgrading to an aluminium radiator however the temporary £23 ebay special is doing the job just fine. It looks very cheap with plastic that looks like it would crack if you look at it the wrong way, but it has held up perfectly. I echo the comments mentioned so far - if its overheating (and mine wasn't even in 35 degree heat in Italy), something else is likely the issue.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Aug 2020 11:17 #227076 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Aluminum Radiator?
Even though I nursed Dreadnaught for nearly 2 years with a failed head gasket I didn't need to resort to an all aluminium radiator. The only reason I can see is that if you are in the middle of nowhere it's conceivably easier for you to bush repair aluminium than plastic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Aug 2020 12:33 #227081 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Aluminum Radiator?
My 2 pents, i have a G13BB and feel cooling system is flawed, water pump and thermostat at the front of the motor how do you guarantee coolant gets to all 4 pots evenly, i found a housing with a heater hose size outlet that is a direct fit instead of the blanking plate at the back of the head and connected a small coolant pump to it then connected to the heater outlet near bottom rad hose so it circulates till thermostat opens

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
21 Aug 2020 23:51 #227141 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Aluminum Radiator?
Hope it wasn't too off topic, just thought if a motor has hot spots were coolant dosnt circulate a good radiator won't fix it

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Hank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2020 15:49 #227290 by Hank
Replied by Hank on topic Aluminum Radiator?
Really interesting responses, I've never had any overheating issues but where I live I know the heat is a major contributor to the Automatic Transmissions failing prematurely and needing rebuilds. I was thinking an aftermarket cooler or aluminum radiator could be in the works to give it that extra longevity. Seems like I may go back with OEM. Scimike you are right it runs at a set temperature anyways.

On the other hand maybe the extra heat absorption from the Aluminum rad would help my AC Condenser cool better through heat soak :huh:

More
25 Aug 2020 06:10 - 25 Aug 2020 06:19 #227317 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Aluminum Radiator?
An aftermarket would be a good plan.

As already mentioned, you likely wouldn't see much engine cooling improvement with an aluminum radiator but it might improve the auto transmission cooling. About the only way you would know for sure is to instrument the transmission and do some before and after readings. If you decide to try it and test it, be sure to post the results.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Aug 2020 06:19 by zukebob.

• Hank
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2021 02:27 #237271 by Hank
Replied by Hank on topic Aluminum Radiator?
Figured I would provide an update to this thread if anyone is googling in the future.

I aborted the Aluminum Radiator on my M13 Jimny because it's a bit more work than I was prepared for at the time- Unless you get a direct fit radiator you're really stuck with using a dual core half sized "Honda" radiator. The dual core thickness means you need to do away with the clutch fan and shroud and install a slim electric fan, I personally prefer the clutch fans and opted to keep it. The next challenge is mounting since it is shorter you need to get some brackets made to extend out, not a difficult job just need to know someone with a welder. After you get it all mounted up none of the hoses will line back up so you have to get some 90 degree hose and a hose extension or get the radiator cut and inlet and outlet re-welded. All of this is made a bit more difficult if you have AC as well since the space is going to be tight. I do think I'll revisit this project again at some point because the dual core is very impressive with temperatures.

I also have a G13B jimny used strictly for offroading, that is running the half sized radiator with a suzuki alto electric fan and the performance is outstanding. I live in a very hot climate and that jeep is always running below the halfway line even idling away at midday in stop and go traffic or on trails. That is what has sold me on the radiator albeit it does take some modification, but what's the fun if everything was easy.

TLDR is there is a definite difference going aluminum. It is also a great preventative measure on an M13 jimny since you really do not want that engine to overheat.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds