BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

A strange sound when climbing the ramp

More
07 Aug 2020 11:25 #226220 by avehbiaslanturk
Hi eveyone,
" First of all, I apologize for my poor English. "

I own a 2009 stock Jimny at 136.000 km. Also it has an automatic transmission.
My problem is this : Such a sound comes when I climb the steep slopes at especially low speeds with my car.
What could be the problem? What should I check? Thank you so much.

Video Link : drive.google.com/file/d/1JHTMcqTJS0zYBVf...vrI/view?usp=sharing

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:06 #226223 by Roger Fairclough
The track on your video would appear to be tarmac and, without having info. on the degree of the slope, probably be drivable in high range.If you have selected low range and the hubs are locked then you may be experiencing axle wind up. This will promote extra pressure in the transfer box and that means noise. If you need low range with hubs locked periodically drive over a surface that will allow wheels to spin. This will relieve pressure in the transfer box. Also bear in mind that using the transfer box is inherently noisy.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: avehbiaslanturk

More
07 Aug 2020 12:16 #226226 by avehbiaslanturk

Roger Fairclough wrote: The track on your video would appear to be tarmac and, without having info. on the degree of the slope, probably be drivable in high range.If you have selected low range and the hubs are locked then you may be experiencing axle wind up. This will promote extra pressure in the transfer box and that means noise. If you need low range with hubs locked periodically drive over a surface that will allow wheels to spin. This will relieve pressure in the transfer box. Also bear in mind that using the transfer box is inherently noisy.

Roger

Sorry for the missing information and thank you for the answer. In the video, my car was in 2WD mode. I rarely use 4WD and 4WD-L modes. If I use it, I only use it on slippery surfaces.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:30 #226227 by Roger Fairclough
2WD in a low gear on a steep climb will naturally promote gear noise. The sounds I heard on the video would not worry me. It's just a system working hard.

Roger

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2020 14:35 #226237 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic A strange sound when climbing the ramp
Oh crikey! I thought you had the dreaded "Mirco-grind" for a second there. But alas...its a gen 3.

Still havnt got mine resolved yet.

More
07 Aug 2020 18:39 #226256 by avehbiaslanturk

Andy2640 wrote: Oh crikey! I thought you had the dreaded "Mirco-grind" for a second there. But alas...its a gen 3.

Still havnt got mine resolved yet.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you said. :) So the sound in my vehicle is normal?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Aug 2020 19:45 #226262 by Lambert
Both of the automatic Jimny I have had didn't make that much noise even when working hard with a trailer on the back. From the video it is quite difficult to separate the wind and tyre noise but I'm also hearing a metallic rattle? It might just be the age of the vehicle but it could also be something else. If you are able I would recommend getting it on a vehicle lift with the wheels in the air and have a listen to the major components of the engine and transmission with it all running. Using a mechanics stethoscope listen closely for excessive noise. The automatic Jimny is usually very quiet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Aug 2020 20:55 - 07 Aug 2020 20:56 #226279 by avehbiaslanturk

Lambert wrote: Both of the automatic Jimny I have had didn't make that much noise even when working hard with a trailer on the back. From the video it is quite difficult to separate the wind and tyre noise but I'm also hearing a metallic rattle? It might just be the age of the vehicle but it could also be something else. If you are able I would recommend getting it on a vehicle lift with the wheels in the air and have a listen to the major components of the engine and transmission with it all running. Using a mechanics stethoscope listen closely for excessive noise. The automatic Jimny is usually very quiet.

Firstly, thank you. Yes, as you said, there is a metal ratling noise. There is no sound on straight road. Sometimes it comes on roads with steep slopes, sometimes it doesn't. My first job will be to check the oil level of the transfer case.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2020 20:56 by avehbiaslanturk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Aug 2020 21:08 #226282 by Lambert
Yes, that is a good plan. Also check the universal joints on the propshafts for signs of movement. Does it make the noise at a certain rpm of the engine or just when it feels like it?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Aug 2020 21:11 #226284 by Lambert
also check that the exhaust heat shields are firmly connected as they will make a similar noise.

More
08 Aug 2020 12:28 #226348 by avehbiaslanturk

Lambert wrote: Yes, that is a good plan. Also check the universal joints on the propshafts for signs of movement. Does it make the noise at a certain rpm of the engine or just when it feels like it?

While the my jimny is going uphill and driving at low rpm (2000-3000); it feels too much when I load on the gas. It is not an overly disturbing sound. It sounds as much as in the video. There is no such sound in normal urban use.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Aug 2020 12:37 #226351 by Lambert
The more I think about it the more it sounds like an exhaust heat shield or something associated with that. I have various additional clamps on my exhaust to stop it vibrating.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds