BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Gen 4 Battery swap

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 18:53 #226163 by GeorgeC
Gen 4 Battery swap was created by GeorgeC
I am about to swap back to the original battery after a month of testing an EFB Battery and wish to preserve the codes in the system for reading at the next service, due next week.

Anyone on the forum, owner or dealer or technician, done this with a Gen 4?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2020 19:48 #226169 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
Something like this George?

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2020 20:07 - 08 Aug 2020 07:57 #226172 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
Thank you Mark, a good video!
It is good to see he emphasises the battery +ve terminal is live during the battery swap! :ohmy:

The OBD connected back up battery method seems to be the popular response to searches.

Edit: As I don't have any of the toys used in the video, I phoned Suzuki Roadside Assist to ask if they would back up the memories while I swapped over the batteries. Well, no surprise that the answer was "NO!", however what followed was most enlightening. Gen 4 Jimny battery swaps in my region are now dealer only. Also, the Data is saved to a memory stick. I was instructed not to remove the EFB Battery as the data will be required. I am waiting for Suzuki to contact me as to the next step in the procedure.

Both the Original Battery on the bench and the EFB Battery in the car, are resting at 12.77V, however, the State of Charge for the EFB Battery is 66% and for the Original lead/acid Battery is 100%.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 07:57 by GeorgeC. Reason: Edit-update

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 08:15 #226314 by GeorgeC
No replies so far from any of the Suzuki camps, so I phoned the RAC. Here they are the hands-on service provider for most of the Roadside Assistance programs including Suzuki's.

The nice RAC Battery lady checked my car's Plate and the only battery in her database for my Gen4 Jimny is a #2138, a "sealed calcium" at 199AUD, that's about 110GBP supplied and fitted within the hour! She then read me the field instructions for the serviceman, almost word for word as written in the Suzuki Service Manual with the additional instruction of running the electric windows up/down. No mention anywhere of return to dealer and no mention of gathering of data or a memory stick! The plot thickens. :ohmy:

More
08 Aug 2020 09:38 #226319 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
The running Up and Down of the windows is just to reset the Auto window for the drivers side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2020 19:23 - 08 Aug 2020 19:42 #226371 by GeorgeC

Soeley wrote: The running Up and Down of the windows is just to reset the Auto window for the drivers side.

I can see your that humour is quicker than mine, must be my age.
Windows from Suzuki now come in Four Varieties, Electric-Auto, Electric-Manual, Fixed and Wind-Ups! :laugh:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 19:42 by GeorgeC.

More
09 Aug 2020 08:34 #226377 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
Just being nosy, like, but why did you test an EFB battery and why are you going back to the original?
I'd never heard of an EFB battery, so looked it up and it seems it's recommended for cars with stop/start tehnology.
I think it would make sense that any important microprocessors on the Jimny would have their own battery back-up, like computers have. Maybe that's why the RAC don't bother with a memory stick.
Battery swaps dealer only, pah! Next thing, filling up with petrol, dealer only!

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 10:08 - 09 Aug 2020 19:16 #226389 by GeorgeC

Doctorchris wrote: Just being nosy, like, but why did you test an EFB battery and why are you going back to the original?
I'd never heard of an EFB battery, so looked it up and it seems it's recommended for cars with stop/start tehnology.
I think it would make sense that any important microprocessors on the Jimny would have their own battery back-up, like computers have. Maybe that's why the RAC don't bother with a memory stick.
Battery swaps dealer only, pah! Next thing, filling up with petrol, dealer only!

I'll deal with the last first:
Loan cars are provided almost EMPTY, so the customer can return them full, I did, 34 litres!

In my region we have 4 levels/grades of batteries, EFB is the top grade. Open Lead/Acid (original Jimny) is considered the lowest, with Sealed Calcium and AGM in-between.

As I have re-charging issues, the EFB Battery was provided to see if the Battery Management System in the car would recognise it and charge it in a different manner and maintain a voltage higher than it does to the open lead/acid battery, it didn't. My driving style is considered close to stop start.

Since starting the test over 4 weeks, 23km and 10 starts, a drop of resting voltage from 13.26V at fitting to 12.76V on Thursday, a loss of about 18AH battery capacity. This post gives more details of the test: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...r-jimny-today#225958

I am going back to the original battery as the car is going for a service and the test is concluded at this time I would like to recover any data stored in the system. All the test results over the past 18 months refer to the original battery. I am NOT suggesting you run out and buy an EFB Battery!

Please don't be miss-lead by the memory stick comment, it was a wind up by the lady in the call centre! I got completely sucked in!!!
Last edit: 09 Aug 2020 19:16 by GeorgeC.

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 23:43 #226435 by GeorgeC

GeorgeC wrote: I am about to swap back to the original battery after a month of testing an EFB Battery and wish to preserve the codes in the system for reading at the next service, due next week.

Anyone on the forum, owner or dealer or technician, done this with a Gen 4?

A reply from Suzuki, here in Australia: "For replacing you battery please follow the procedure in your Jimny Owner’s Manual for Replacement of the Battery which is located on Page 6-41." :woohoo:

• GeorgeC
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2020 05:07 #226541 by GeorgeC
Yesterday I contacted the Battery supplier with the results of my test.
His advice was remove the battery and re-fit the original. He added that it may be useful to jumper the leads with another battery for the swap. My original question answered.

Not having a third battery, I used the 4 watt Solar Panel with the 13.8V regulator from a radio power supply. Long leads and test clips made the connection. It all worked a treat! See photos below.
Attachments:

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Aug 2020 06:12 #226542 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
Sorry I'm confused. Are you saying that on a gen4 you can't just disconnect the battery without a supplementary 12v supply or a trip to the dealer to get them to do it and or recode the car? That's mental if that's the case.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2020 06:58 #226543 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Gen 4 Battery swap
"That's mental if that's the case". I think the Gen4 will become an unnecessary pain in future years as parts wear out. The mechanicals all look good but the electrical system just says trouble ahead. This is not a specific Jimny fault as all cars are going this way. The saving grace maybe the Swift (which shares much of the electrics) as enthusiastic tuners find ways to bypass some of this stuff.
Chris

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds