BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Minimal Off road Jimny Rig

• Tom Bacon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2020 19:25 - 07 Aug 2020 19:26 #226260 by Tom Bacon
Replied by Tom Bacon on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Where can I buy one of these Rocklobster transfer boxes? Roughly how do you install one?

I'm intending to do my homework and do this right. I'm going for a minimal yet high quality build with an on/off road balance but leaning a bit more towards off road.

Thinking of just going with a 4 inch suspension lift, 31 inch mud tyres, a snorkel and a gear reduction of some kind.

Seems to be difficult to find all the info. There seem to be no youtube tutorials on this stuff.
Last edit: 07 Aug 2020 19:26 by Tom Bacon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Aug 2020 20:17 #226267 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Unless it's evolutionary based on overcoming difficulties with an existing modification on increasingly technical terrain, there's as much need for a Jimny to have a 4 inch lift as there is for a bull in a milking parlour. Oh it's going to look impressive for sure but when someone drives past it on a set of modest tyres with a minimal lift because they have good skills and happened to have spent their money on locking axle diffs instead, then looking cool becomes a moot point.

I know that makes me sound like a fun sponge but a very lightly adapted Jimny is essentially unstoppable in the right hands. Think of a Jimny as the off road equivalent of a sleeper, looks like a ratty 318i goes like an M5 on nitrous.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Bacon

More
07 Aug 2020 22:34 #226290 by jackonlyjack

Tom Bacon wrote: Where can I buy one of these Rocklobster transfer boxes? Roughly how do you install one?

I'm intending to do my homework and do this right. I'm going for a minimal yet high quality build with an on/off road balance but leaning a bit more towards off road.

Thinking of just going with a 4 inch suspension lift, 31 inch mud tyres, a snorkel and a gear reduction of some kind.

Seems to be difficult to find all the info. There seem to be no youtube tutorials on this stuff.

You need SJ 413 transfer box
6.5.1 gear set jimnybits
wide angle HD props jimnybits
A purpose built cradle to make SJ transfer fit into the jimny
£1,500 should cover the cost, if you can fit the gears and do all other work yourself
Welcome, to the expense of doing it right :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Bacon

• Tom Bacon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2020 16:54 #226523 by Tom Bacon
Replied by Tom Bacon on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Hmm.. Would 29 inch tyres and a 2 inch lift make more sense? If yes which Lift kit and mud tyres would you recommend?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Aug 2020 17:30 #226527 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
Yes that would make a very capable mixed use Jimny. Budget is the most obvious limit. But trailmaster is high quality as is old man emu. Most branded tyres will not disappoint, offerings from bfg and maxxis are popular.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Aug 2020 18:14 #226529 by jackonlyjack

• HG0606
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2020 18:56 #226530 by HG0606
Replied by HG0606 on topic Minimal Off road Jimny Rig
As others have said- fitting a big lift, 31's ect doesn't really get you that much further. The main problem with tall 'cool' looking jimnys is the springs are rock solid and you have the centre of gravity constantly against you, best option is to aim to build something that all works together. biggest tyres possible with the absolute smallest lift possible (i run 245/75/16's - just under a 31) on a 2 inch lift with only a bit of trimming, but to keep it driving nice on the road its not just a kit. I tried a 2 inch procomp lift - was ok, full 4 inch lift kit- like riding on a block of concrete, i now run a pair of standard passenger side (i think - can't exactly remember which side) on the rear, cheap vit mods shock absorbers (had avo's on previously), home made shock brackets at the bottom, made a set of spring mounts to sit on top of the originals out of bits off a scrap axle, 4 inch radius arms all round and plus 2 inch jimny bits springs on the front. Now this sounds like alot of work but it rides brilliantly, handles well - you can let go of the steering wheel at 50 and it won't wander or wobble. Biggest thing though was a 6.5 trail gear gear set, its really really really really (you get the idea :laugh: ) slow in low, this gives you so much control as you can just crawl along picking your line rather than having to go at it gung-ho (as a result i have never broken anything whilst green laning) , admittedly i shouldn't have gone quite so low as it does make it rev alot on road a 5.1 ratio would probably be ideal and if doing it agian i would import some 'sumo' branded gears from japan as these wont chatter as much as the trial gear. Yes it doesn't look that modified and like a cool little monster truck but it performs well on and off road, its only taken 5 or so years of fiddling to get it here, so to reiterate, do it right once and make it reliable. Hope that helps a bit :)

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds