BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Lift kit & suspension for the JB74

More
28 Jul 2020 11:27 #225778 by crash486
According to someone far more knowledgeable than I "gwagansteve" had the following to say
"On a car with radius arm suspension, the roll centre is approximately 1/2 way along the panhard rod. Raising the axle end will raise the roll centre by about 1/2 the amount the axle end was raised. The higher the roll centre, the more the body of the car is trying to push against the force acting on it in order to body roll. This kit will help to reduce the body roll people complain of with OME suspension because OME don’t add unwanted shock valving to compensate for the increased height (other manufacturers use the term “heavy duty” to cover the fact ride harshness increases with suspension lift- it shouldn't.) Additionally, the flatter angle will reduce perceived sway and lateral body movement."

crash486 JB74W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris Ekner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2020 19:17 #225801 by Boris Ekner
The answers given here are very interesting & educational to read. Thank you all!
- That said I would like to hear Martin Lines opinion & experience regarding choice of lift-kit.
Does anyone know how to tag him to this thread?

Regards
..Boris

More
28 Jul 2020 19:52 - 28 Jul 2020 19:53 #225806 by mlines
Every lift kit is different. Quite a few are just "whatever is on the shelf and fits" so are not specifically designed for the Jimny, these can give a poor ride.

Some "50mm" lift kits just add "50mm" to the spring length, typically these lift more that 50mm. Others alter the number of coils and wire diameter so are a more engineered solution.

The problem with the Gen4 is that there is a chassis crossmember in the way of the propshaft. Therefore kits some kits which are advertised as 50mm but are in fact slightly higher need a drop bracket to stop the prop hitting. Other kits which are advertised as 50mm but are slightly lower (48mm for example in the Trailmaster variant) do not need it.

Panhard rod effective length is affected by a lift, but 50mm lift is small enough not to need panhard rod correction or indeed castor correction. The technical bit about roll centre will affect it with larger lifts but with 50mm you would be hard pressed to tell. The wheels are still basically central on the line of the car and not offset to one side.

I would simply look at the ride reports and see which ride suites your need at 50mm lift. Trailmaster is very road friendly in my opinion. I have heard that others are more firm on the road and indeed the Jimny Style one seems to be positively rigid.

So at this height, ask around about the ride and go with your heart.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 28 Jul 2020 19:53 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris Ekner

More
29 Jul 2020 22:42 #225841 by Boris Ekner
Thanks, Martin. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards
..Boris

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds