BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch help please

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 18:56 #225336 by Phattaff
Replied by Phattaff on topic Winch help please
The saga continues
Thanks for the diagram, but confused as the diagram doesn't show anything coming off the battery negative, so probably got it all wrong but used some jump leads and connected live to the live on the winch and the neg to the earth bolt on the side of the winch, nothing happened, also tried as per the diagram again nothing, is there an easy way to see if the motor actually works.
Phattaff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2020 19:58 #225349 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winch help please
Get some jump leads with crocodile clips. Put the negative from the battery to the blue wire and the live to one of the other two wires on the motor. Which one you connect to just dictates which way the motor will go.

If nothing happens, the motor is not working and you'll have to take it off to see what the issue is.

If you just need a new motor, there are a few places that might be able to help:

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winch-access...-spares.html?cat=309

www.firstfour.co.uk/shop/winching-and-ac...mpion-warrior-parts/

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 21:24 #225364 by Phattaff
Cheers kirkynut

More
20 Jul 2020 07:49 #225379 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Winch help please
The negative in the picture goes where it says “Masse” or “Massepunkt” (grounding in English).

With Kirkynut’s description you test the motor and with the wiring diagram you also test the complete setup.

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2020 09:43 #225387 by Phattaff
Cheers again RainerK,
Will test the motor first then go from there.
Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this.
Phattaff

More
20 Jul 2020 12:02 #225392 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Winch help please
You may have inherited this winch because it stopped working and the main reason for this is that water has got in and the brushes have seized in the steel holders (probably) due to rust. Stripping a motor does not require an extensive tool supply or a degree in electrical engineering and there is enough knowledge on this forum to make the job a breeze.

Roger

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2020 12:21 #225394 by Phattaff
Cheers Roger.
Just tried what RainerK suggested and still no go, so will be stripping it down to have a looksee. And will of course be seeking all the help I can get from this wonderful site.
Phattaff

• Phattaff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jul 2020 15:47 #225464 by Phattaff
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied to my questions, to let you all know the motor works just fine and the winch is now stripped down ready to be regressed and given a new coat of paint.
All the best
Phattaff

More
22 Jul 2020 19:30 #225473 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Winch help please
Also check the break or have it checked!

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds