BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G series to M series motor swap

More
12 Jul 2020 03:51 #224852 by Old Neil
I hear the bell housing is completely different between the two models, has anyone on the forum grafted a M series motor to a G series gearbox?from what I gather the early gearboxes are stronger?

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2020 07:02 #224865 by Lambert
It's not just the fitting of the different engine but the control of it too. It is possible as people do it the other way round regularly enough ie older gearbox to newer engine in newer car. It depends on what your skill set is upto. Generally though it's just easier to get a bigger low mileage g series like the g16.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Jul 2020 07:30 #224867 by Old Neil

Lambert wrote: It's not just the fitting of the different engine but the control of it too. It is possible as people do it the other way round regularly enough ie older gearbox to newer engine in newer car. It depends on what your skill set is upto. Generally though it's just easier to get a bigger low mileage g series like the g16.

Thanks Lambert
At the moment I'm concentrating on new motor to old gearbox, from what I've gathered the two gearbox bell housing are completely different sounds like people have done it
I'm thinking the motor can be driven by a haltec, coils, sensers, vvt ect
The G series motors getting bit old, more scope with M series motor
Cheers Neil

More
12 Jul 2020 11:52 #224890 by Old Neil
Is there links to articles about people grafting M series motor to a G series gearbox

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Jul 2020 15:07 #224903 by Riccy
The r7me gearbox which comes with non VVT M series engines is plenty strong enough (thats what I use with the 1.8 vvt). The baddie of the bunch is the R72 box from 2005-2009. r7me fits both vvt and non vvt m series engines.

The G series box has identical ratios to the r7me (according to bigjimny wiki), so I would say if you want to go M series get the r7me gearbox.

As Lambert says the wiring would be a headache unless you can get a full loom and dashboard, and even then it would need altering. Aftermarket ECU like Haltech would do it (mine is DTAfast S80, but similar custom tuned thing). Googling for info relating to suzuki swift tuning will yeild plenty of ideas for the M series engine ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 15:08 #224904 by Lambert
If you have a look at the ulysses build by riccy in the build area he has done it. Amongst others.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 15:27 #224906 by Riccy

Lambert wrote: If you have a look at the ulysses build by riccy in the build area he has done it. Amongst others.

Thanks Lambert, but thats not strictly what I've done. My car is 2006, so a M series VVT shell/wiring/chassis (like Dreadnaught), but a M series non-VVT gearbox fitted to the vvt engine ;-)

I think @Old Neil is wanting to put a vvt M series engine into a G series car, thus the bell housing questions. Unfortunately that's where my knowledge runs out, having never fiddled with a G series engine/box.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
12 Jul 2020 15:47 #224907 by Old Neil
Can't i put a r7me gearbox into my early jimny, is the later transfer case separate like my early jimny

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 15:57 #224908 by Riccy

Old Neil wrote: Can't i put a r7me gearbox into my early jimny, is the later transfer case separate like my early jimny

Yes, It'll fit exactly as the current gearbox does without needing to modify the rear bracket. Only difference, as far as I know, is the bell housing shape ;-) Your G series chassis should have the same gearbox/engine rear mount and gearstick/transfer-box setup as the early m series chassis. Not sure about the intermediate prop, but would expect it to be the same.

Someone who has seen both chassis will tell you (g series and m series non vvt) :whistle:

Maybe @J999 pre would be worth a PM as he's seen and broken-for-spares a lot of Jimnys

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Old Neil

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 17:29 #224914 by Lambert
Sorry I thought you started with an older shell.

More
12 Jul 2020 21:14 #224968 by Busta
Are we sure the bell housing is different between G and M series engines? I have both so I will get some pictures to compare.
I know that the G16 bell housing is different to the G13, but that suggests to me the G13 and M13 are more likely to be the same than different again.

More
13 Jul 2020 11:49 #224988 by Keithy
Chassis is the same.....James has an M13A in his originally G series car.....turbo and intercooler fitted too it has a Megasquirt ECU controlling it.

Not sure if the intermediate propshaft is different.

Nothing is impossible.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds