BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Revs drop very low when electrical are used

• LCoates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2020 15:52 #224723 by LCoates
Whenever I electricals such as the ac, electric windows, windscreen wipers, brake lever (brake light) etc I find a significant drop in revs, sometimes enough to almost stall the car if I put the car under significant electrical load (using lots of these at once). When this happens the revs drop very low, then start coming back up if they hit around 200 revs, this is particularly noticeable when driving and coming to a stop (brake light on from brake lever depressed) as the car can sometimes almost stall as coming to a stop...

Whilst trying to diagnose the issue and tune things up I've removed the idle air control thingamajig and cleaned it out nicely and checked and cleaned the pcv valve, also the car has a new battery and alternator...

Could anyone suggest any solutions or further things to check? I've struggled to find much info on this issue and I'm not very familiar with cars so I'm very much still learning!

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jul 2020 17:42 #224730 by Lambert
You have done the obvious things so next I would suggest checking the connections on the earth strap to the body and engine. It certainly sounds electrical as though something is drawing too much current.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• LCoates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 10:12 #224881 by LCoates
Replied by LCoates on topic Revs drop very low when electrical are used
So I had a look at the earth cables and noted they were pretty filthy at the connection points, some of the cables looked damaged in places too so I have cleaned up the connection points and replaced the cables.

Now I have a new issue, the car isn't almost stalling as I come to a stop now, Instead when I'm coming to a stop the revs shoot up when I press in the clutch, revving between 1500-2000, calming down after 10 seconds with the car in neutral and my foot on the brake or handbrake on...

On a side note, if the car is sat at Idle and I hold the button to close the car window (when it's already closed) the revs still drop pretty sharply, but it can seem to handle other high electrical load at Idle (headlights, indicators, and wipers all running together)...

Thanks for your help so far!

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds