BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2001 Jimny rough idle when warm (suspect misfire)

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2020 15:22 - 08 Jul 2020 15:39 #224687 by Radupuh
Hi everyone,

I've owned a 2001 Jimny (soft top, G13BB engine) for a while now (barely had time to use it though due to the COVID pandemic) and I've been struggling with an issue for a while now: once the engine gets warm, it begins to have a rough idle, where the car shudders for a split second, the rpm drops a bit and then drops back to normal. The issue is completely absent when the engine is cold at idle or when the engine is running at higher rpm.

The car didn't have this issue when I bought it, then I had it serviced (oil change, timing belt change, general maintenance etc.) including replacing the spark plugs with some the previous owner had bought but never got the chance to install (Febi Bistein, my mechanic warned me he didn't like the brand) and the issue started to occur shortly afterward.

I first tried to have a look at the sensor at the top back of the engine (replaced it with one from a friend's car) and it didn't help.

Then I had the spark plugs changed again with some NGKs and the issue appeared to be gone. Drove the car for about 300 km (including refueling once) without the issue, Then suddenly, just after I refueled it a 2nd time, the issue was back.

What I plan to try next:

- borrow the spark plug cables from my friend and see if that helps in any way
- try cleaning the throttle

Any other ideas what I could be looking at?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit: Bad gasoline on the 2nd refueling seems unlikely, as another Jimny refueled in the same place at the same time and had no issues with it.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2020 15:39 by Radupuh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2020 17:17 #224694 by CC Baxter
Try the idle air control valve in the throttle body, a good clean might help. Chris

More
08 Jul 2020 21:49 #224701 by Scimike
Hi,
Yep swap the coil packs as they can be the cause of many running issues then it's clean the IAC valve as Chris states. The IAC stepper valve only comes into play when the engine is warm and can stick.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 19:52 #227119 by Radupuh
Took longer than anticipated, but finally got to the bottom of it: it was the coil packs.

More
22 Aug 2020 08:05 #227150 by kirkynut
Well done in getting to the bottom of it. It's harder on the single cam engines as you can't get a code reader as easily as the twin cams due to them not being OBD2 compliant (On board diagnostics).

Having read this for the first time I was thinking coil pack as they can behave differently with heat.

Febi-bilstein is a good brand generally but I've not heard of them doing electrical stuff or spark plugs before, so they've branched into a new market and your mechanic was likely nervous about them as cars can be sensitive to spark plugs and brands.

Keep them as spares though as they are a quality brand used by manufacturer.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds