BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a rock lobster (SJ) transfer box in a Jimny...

More
15 Jul 2020 01:59 #225108 by zukebob
Thank you Dave. I appreciate the info.

Martin. Thanks for your info too. The truth is that I was only looking for the overall length of the SJ shaft so that I could confirm authenticity when I purchase one here. In the Philippines the surplus part vendors will sell parts from SJ410s, SJ413s, JA11s along with a host of other Suzuki flavors and tell you that it is what you are looking for. The fact that there are (at least) 2 SJ shaft lengths will make it more difficult. At least having that knowledge will help my search.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Jul 2020 05:36 #225111 by X8GGY

More
15 Jul 2020 06:26 #225114 by zukebob
That was so easy I will ask another favor. This will be dependent on whether you remember at the time.:laugh:

When you have your transfer case in position, would you take a measurement from the transmission output to the transfer case input shaft flange. If you can get that, later, and with your permission, I will add the same dimension for an auto transmission. At least I will after I finally get all of the parts I need. Hopefully the information will be useful to people who find this thread later.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
15 Jul 2020 08:11 #225115 by mlines

zukebob wrote: . The fact that there are (at least) 2 SJ shaft lengths will make it more difficult. .

Its not a great issue, spacers etc. can sort that. I was just pointing it out.

However, if you are offered parts from early SJ410 then these have "skinny" props, probably from the LJ Series, I would avoid these if possible. They are very thin.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Jul 2020 08:22 #225116 by X8GGY
Just looking back at the photos of my previous Jimny build...

This was the Samurai intermediary prop with a 12mm prop spacer added, and that's the gap left...

Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Jul 2020 11:02 - 15 Jul 2020 11:06 #225118 by X8GGY
Not much time today, it's my usual day off in the week, but I've got to take our youngest daughter to the airport this afternoon to resume her dance contract in Malta, so not enough time to work on the buggy today, but a couple of hours to mess about with props?... :woohoo:

I started by disappearing under the buggy to measure it's intermediary shaft as Martin had got me worried :unsure: especially as my donor Jimny is an old X reg model of 2000 vintage... all ok though, it's 46cm as measured previously...

So I took the Jimny intermediary prop I got from James... marked the middle of it, and then measure 4cm back on either end, to remove a 8cm section, and gingerlly cut one of the lines I had marked... hoping props are hollow?...

Yup, as hoped made of tube B)

Which is 32mm ID (Internal Diameter)...

Onto eBay and start searching for a tube sleeve insert... I found a couple of sellers but both had the message to say they were away and not processing orders immediately (impatient me!) but then I found good old Tom "pipe-bender" had pieces listed of the right size B) So I ordered the minimum length of 50cm, even though I only need about 16cm... it's 31.75mm diameter (imperial 1.5") and~2mm wall, so should slide nice and tight into the inside of the prop tube (which is 32mm) B)

So...

Cut the prop to length... about 8cm shorter, so it's a bit longer than the Samurai prop, to save running a spacer in it ;)

And then drilled four holes in both halves of the prop and bevelled the edges ready for welding up when the insert tube sleeve arrives hopefully before the weekend... I paid an extra £3 delivery for a 24 hour courier...

Inserting the sleeve will keep the prop perfectly straight, allow me to puddle weld through the holes onto the sleeve inside, and I'm hoping it won't need re-balancing as a result...?

Then grind the welds "flat" (or slightly rounded actually!) and repaint the middle of the prop... sorted! B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jul 2020 11:06 by X8GGY.

More
15 Jul 2020 12:10 #225120 by yakuza

mlines wrote:

zukebob wrote: . The fact that there are (at least) 2 SJ shaft lengths will make it more difficult. .

Its not a great issue, spacers etc. can sort that. I was just pointing it out.

However, if you are offered parts from early SJ410 then these have "skinny" props, probably from the LJ Series, I would avoid these if possible. They are very thin.

Here we call the early 410 1984,5 as later they have the same bolt pattern as the 413. But the 4speed 410 transmission is most likely shorter than the 5speed 413 transmission so that is why there is two lenghts i guess.
Never seen a 413 int shaft with worn joints by the way. I got loads of them, they never sell. No front or rear shafts left. From 7 or 8 broken SJ's.

I could stack all my int shafts up and take a picture and measure i guess.

Loved the swap deals done up in this thread by the way, beatiful!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
15 Jul 2020 12:21 #225121 by yakuza
One 410 shaft in my collection, i did not know of.
26 or 27mm shorter that one.

40cm the long one incl. the yoke.

Errors when uploading pics here, will try later.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
15 Jul 2020 12:56 #225122 by X8GGY
You should list them on eBay with international shipping... we’re short of them over here so they make good prices ;)

More
15 Jul 2020 14:43 #225124 by jackonlyjack

X8GGY wrote: You should list them on eBay with international shipping... we’re short of them over here so they make good prices ;)

I might be interested in one need to measure mine first ;)

More
15 Jul 2020 15:57 #225126 by yakuza

Sj410 the top one. No excact measurements.

Guess i could sell a few.. But International shipping from Norway is outrageous prices. Your commonwealth and something to do with old agreements is the reason for British mail order.

Attachments:

• Probablynotfrank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2020 16:56 #225129 by Probablynotfrank
Replied by Probablynotfrank on topic Fitting a rock lobster (SJ) transfer box in a Jimny...

Riccy wrote: Ive got a shortened intermediary prop for an R72 gearbox to your welcome to, but it will have the wrong spline count on the gearbox end of it. Might be possible to swap over the UJs to get it right

I'd be interested in the measurements of the shortened R72 shaft?

My R72 shaft next to an SJ wish I knew about the different splines first :silly:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds