BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a rock lobster (SJ) transfer box in a Jimny...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Jul 2020 20:34 - 09 Jul 2020 20:35 #224735 by X8GGY

Riccy wrote: Ive got a shortened intermediary prop for an R72 gearbox to your welcome to, but it will have the wrong spline count on the gearbox end of it. Might be possible to swap over the UJs to get it right

Thanks Riccy B) That's a kind offer, but, I've already got a standard Jimny intermediate prop coming from James, with the Jimny standard transfer box, which I can shorten, AND, I spotted this on eBay yesterday too -

Which has been despatched this morning...

jackonlyjack wrote: The R72 prop might be use to
Sniper ;)

Aye, that sounds like a plan ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jul 2020 20:35 by X8GGY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Jul 2020 12:42 #224775 by X8GGY
Oooh! Look...

A parcel for me? Ooooh, how kind! Thanks James! B)

On the left a (rocklobster) Samurai box, and on the right a standard Jimny transfer box...

As measured the other day, ~34cm

The standard one is more like ~32cm when measured a bit more accurately...

But that's fine, with the JimnyBits conversion spacer added to the Samurai box (to allow the use of a standard rear Jimny prop) it's 2cm longer than the standard box across the (extended) output flanges, but that's perfect for me to allows a bit more length to the standard props after the minimal ~5cm / 2" lift added to the buggy...

And as roughly measured the offset from output flange to input flange is more like ~13cm, so a standard intermediary shaft would need shortening by ~7cm... (One also arrived in the parcel from James, I'll compare it to the Samurai one when that arrives...

The idea I have is to...

Make a metal jig to hold the standard transfer box in place, so that I have all the reference points - mounting points of the three rubber mounts to the chassis and the three flange positions, and then sustitue the Samurai box into the same jig to be able to get the mounting bucket mount and spine (when it turns up!) in the exact place of the original...

It's coming... slowly...
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Jul 2020 16:41 #224782 by Riccy
Tidy Dave B)

Sniper ;)

Yes and no I suspect. The ratios in his gearbox and diffs will be awful with a rocklobster or SJ box in there (too low combined). Top speed of 40-50 revving its nuts off. Superb for a trials only vehicle though.

Perhaps when Dave has done what he needs with the standard Jimny stick t-box above that would be better for Sniper, as its not so much of a drop and would be ideal for 235/75r15 tyres. Will fit with what gearbox and diffs hes got already too.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, sniper

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
10 Jul 2020 17:38 #224784 by X8GGY

Riccy wrote: Tidy Dave B)

Sniper ;)

Yes and no I suspect. The ratios in his gearbox and diffs will be awful with a rocklobster or SJ box in there (too low combined). Top speed of 40-50 revving its nuts off. Superb for a trials only vehicle though.

Perhaps when Dave has done what he needs with the standard Jimny stick t-box above that would be better for Sniper, as its not so much of a drop and would be ideal for 235/75r15 tyres. Will fit with what gearbox and diffs hes got already too.

Fine by me! I only bought it to make the jig pattern to get everything lined up corrrectly, I'd be happy to pass it on for what I gave James for it... ;)

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
10 Jul 2020 20:56 #224800 by sniper
Thanks gents, you helped me make my mind up. The offer of the transfer box is spot on thank you Dave, I'll take you up on that if I may. I was considering the R7ME & manual transfer swap, as I can't afford to continue with the SJ mini lobster and will have to sell it.

When I do the R7ME swap, I will have an R72 box that's recently recon'd for sale and hopefully that will cover the cost of the parts needed for the swap & fitting. Being skint is the problem.... Got to get the parts and fit them, before I can sell the R72 box and electric transfer. Chicken and egg......

Again hopefully, selling the mini lobster will cover the cost of some 235's.

What I need is a parts dealer who had the parts and could do the swap for me, thereby making best advantage of the deal.... Anybody know one ?

Thanks again...

sniper

More
10 Jul 2020 22:16 #224806 by jackonlyjack
Mini lobster mmmm we need to talk matey
You could try to squeeze my 225 BFG's on yours sniper

More
11 Jul 2020 08:07 #224818 by sniper
Jack - Great we'll have a chat over the weekend :)

Dave - I bumped in to a lad that used to work for me, he has now got set up in a shed himself. He's got an HD plasma table and I was going to get a sj transfer gasket and ask him to use that as the start point for a spine. I can still do that if that will help you with your build, he owes me a few favours...

sniper

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
11 Jul 2020 09:29 #224823 by X8GGY
Thanks Sniper... but I have my trusty angle grinder with a slitting disk in it ;)

Besides... it’s more fun making your own! :woohoo:

More
11 Jul 2020 20:45 #224843 by j999pre
I'm interested in the r72. I can supply a stick shift transfer box but no r7me at the mo

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Jul 2020 17:10 - 12 Jul 2020 17:14 #224911 by X8GGY
Started my Sunday quietly by...

... drilling a set of 10mm holes in the input flange...

So that the standard Jimny intermediary prop 'fits' IF it gets shortened... a Samurai one is also due to arrive soon...?

I then went back to working on the buggy, as all the neighbours will be up by then! :laugh:
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2020 17:14 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2020 17:53 #224917 by Lambert
Forgive my ignorance but would it be possible to change the input shaft on the transfer to prop rather than the other way round or is that major work?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
12 Jul 2020 20:29 #224963 by X8GGY
Dunno... 20 mins and free to drill a second set of holes in the input flange?...

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds