BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a rock lobster (SJ) transfer box in a Jimny...

More
07 Jul 2020 10:35 #224637 by sniper
I'm struggling with the same problem now, bought the box without a thought to mounting it...... Bit dumb when the mounts will cost me more than the box...

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2020 10:52 #224638 by jackonlyjack
Matey if the prop flanges are 80mm pcd on the sj box i have a front and rear props
Spare in mi shed
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jul 2020 11:05 #224639 by X8GGY
Hmmm, suppose it’s not that bad when you think of what you’re getting? The bucket bracket, speedo bits, mounts, prop conversion spacers, and it’s got a mini-spine apparently making 15 mounting points instead of the standard 8 bolts in the two bracket mounts, although i can only see 11? 3 exra on the base of the bucket mount?...

I’ve already got the box with the speedo mount and signal gear fitted though...

And the rear prop conversion spacer...

Reading their item description though, that indicates that their kit needs an SJ intermediary prop from the gearbox to the input flange on the transfer box :(

More
07 Jul 2020 11:16 #224640 by jackonlyjack
Yes the intermediary prop
Dave do you know if the 80mm pcd prop end will fit onto a jimny/standard intermediary
I have 2 jimny one's and was going to have them shortened
Or do i need to buy the 85mm pcd input flange ?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jul 2020 11:28 #224641 by X8GGY

sniper wrote: I'm struggling with the same problem now, bought the box without a thought to mounting it...... Bit dumb when the mounts will cost me more than the box...

sniper

I think that’s what puts most people off... you’ve got to buy the box, get the gears fitted or welded, source a mount, and then mess about with old props...

Hence my wish to use standard Jimny props...

The intermediate prop is a pain too, it’s either get an old SJ one and hope it’s still reusable without being rebuilt, or get a Jimny one shortened to suit...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
07 Jul 2020 11:40 #224642 by jackonlyjack
Just had a thought will the flange off stick shift Jimny transfer
Fit onto the SJ transfer ?
This would mean i only need the props shortened

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jul 2020 11:56 #224643 by X8GGY
I’m not sure yet, I think the Jimny intermediary prop fits but will need shortening to suit?

I’ve ordered a standard Jimny transfer box from James so that I can build a jig around it, and then take the box away and put an SJ box in it’s place and see what lines up, and then it can be used to make a bucket mount for the SJ box as I’ll have all the reference points on the jig...

Russ from JimnyBits indicated that their kit (referenced in the rear propshaft conversion spacer listing) used standard Jimny props, but I’m not sure if that also included the intermediary prop?...

Time and tinkering will tell...

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jul 2020 12:20 #224644 by X8GGY
(From my buggy build thread) I've already redrilled the back output flange..

By clamping the end of an old prop to the flange (I've got 8mm and 10mm pattern ones)...

To make it take both prop holes sizes...

I think the conversion spacer for the rear will be a 10mm one?...

And this is the rocklobster box complete with early Offroad Armoury enclosed speedo mount...

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
07 Jul 2020 16:00 - 07 Jul 2020 16:24 #224659 by X8GGY
Couple of hours off this afternoon and I was tinkering in the garage with the transfer box (drilling the front output flange as it happens) when the DPD driver rocked up and shouted through the open door...

The JimnyBits rear proshaft conversion spacer...

So this side is like the end of the SJ rear shaft and bolts onto the rear output flange (from behind!)...

NOTE that it's dual fitment - 8mm and 10mm holes B)

And the other side -

... is shaped to take the end of a standard Jimny rear propshaft B)

With it bolting in place from behind the output flange, something I hadn't considered was the Offroad Armoury enclosed speedo drive gear / pickup... that black nylon shroud around where the 410 drum hand-brake used to live, so this wouldn't normally be an issue, but as my rear output flange was already loose (the previous owner had obviously kept the right and proper flanges) I pulled it off, bolted the spacer on, and then refitted the flange and spacer back on again... With a standard speedo gear on the back of the flange without a shroud around it this wouldn't be an issue...

All sorted though, and ready for a standard Jimny rear propshaft to bolt to it...

You can see my re-drilled flange there with the bolt close to the edge of the flange, but there's plenty of meat around it, and it's strongly clamped in place... I did consider using the 8mm holes, but would prefer the bigger bolts in place, and being as I'd already drilled the flange... The 8mm's smaller heads might have given me a bit more breathing space though! :lol:

I also changed the breather elbow from 6mm tube to 8mm tube as I use on my breather setup...

I didn't have my scruffs on today (Jack) so I haven't disappeared under the buggy yet to look at the standard front props...

I'll be out in the garage again tomorrow though ;)

Meanwhile the Jimny standard transfer box is on it's way from James, and the SJ transfer box spine has also been posted to me... B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jul 2020 16:24 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
08 Jul 2020 15:25 - 08 Jul 2020 16:41 #224688 by X8GGY
Some rough measuring today...

SJ (rocklobster_) transfer box : ~34cm across the flanges with the JimnyBits conversion spacer attached (allows the use of a standard rear propshaft)And...

~6cm offset from front output flange back to the input flange...

Measuring through my homemade standard Jimny transfer box cradle/skid... again ~34cm B)

BUT...

~13cm offset from the front output flange back to the input flange...As confirmed by Russ at JimnyBits, their kit (not on sale at the time of writing) uses standard front and rear Jimny propshafts BUT does need a SJ intermediary shaft, or a shortened Jimny intermediary shaft...

So I quickly message James and asked if he hadn't shipped the standard Jimny transfer box that I've ordered for reference measurements (and to make a mounting cradle for the rocklobster box), if he could pop an intermediary prop into the same parcel so that I can (get it) shortened...

Also the three props all look to be 10mm holed, so I might have to whip the input flange off the rocklobster box and redrill that too?...
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2020 16:41 by X8GGY.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 Jul 2020 16:48 #224724 by Riccy
Ive got a shortened intermediary prop for an R72 gearbox to your welcome to, but it will have the wrong spline count on the gearbox end of it. Might be possible to swap over the UJs to get it right

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds