BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spark Plugs

• partho00
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2020 08:22 #224468 by partho00
Spark Plugs was created by partho00
Hi all, I’m replacing the ignition coils on my 05 m13a vvt engine. Thought that i might as well put some nice new plugs in while I’m at it.

I would normally just order from BigJ but want them this weekend so it’s the local parts store for me.

At the moment she’s got iridium plugs. Is it really worth putting new iridium ones in?

I’m tempted to just put some good old nickel plugs in.
I can buy some manufacturer recommend (NGK BKR6E-11) for free next day delivery on amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DZRWQES/ref=..._od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or just buy some Bosch (FR7DCX) ones from Halfords. Great as I can literally go to the store now and get the job done. But not 100% sure if these are the correct replacements: www.halfords.com/euro-car-parts?cgid=165736&pid=408770860

If anyone could advise on any of the above that would be great.

Thanks all,

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2020 10:26 #224472 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spark Plugs
Iridium are good for long term ownership as they have a significant service life but they are no cheaper than doing more frequent changes of normal plugs. I use them on Dreadnought as I have had her since new 9 years ago and intend on keeping her as long again so having plugs that are fit and forget for every 3 services is viable. If I were looking at a change of car every so often I wouldn't bother as they are not worth the cost over a short ownership period.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2020 13:25 #224479 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spark Plugs
Lambert is spot on, it's a how often do you want to change them sort of question, as normal and Iridium both work equally as well.
A rule of thumb is normal plugs good for 10k miles, Iridium good for 30k miles. It does depend upon the manufacturer, if you want accuracy look at the plug data sheet, it will specify the service life. Obviously they can stay in for more miles, but most manufacturers will stipulate a change interval.
So cost wise they work out about the same, but if you factor in labour costs then Iridium are cheaper in the long term as you change them less often.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
05 Jul 2020 11:46 #224531 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spark Plugs
I think Iridium plugs are good for 60k miles.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Jul 2020 18:29 #224549 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spark Plugs
Yes you can get higher milage out of them, but the same is true of normal plugs. Each manufacturer will give a life expectancy, this tends to be the minimum expected and will vary with plug type. The figures above are just for guidance, but for the real life expectancy you need the datasheet for the plug you want to fit.
NGK standard Iridium (not Laser) have a life expectancy of 40 -50k, but could go further.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds