BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny stutter

• Kreidler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 10:41 #224132 by Kreidler
Jimny stutter was created by Kreidler
Let me introduce myself, I'm Bob from the Netherlands, I found a nice '99 g13bb Jimny a couple of months ago. It had some rust but the price was good so I bought it. When I drove it home the check engine light came on, a faulty lambda sensor, which I changed the week after and the engine light never lit up again.

The car really needed some service so I changed the oil+filter, plugs, distribution, airfilter, the standard stuff and it drove really well. However soon after the problems started. At half throttle it just won't go, at full throttle its not a racer but it pulls up to 90mph. At half throttle sometimes nothing happens and then suddenly it sprints away.

I've been reading these forums and quickly concluded it could be the camsensor, so that was the first thing to change but it didn't help. Fuel pressure was really low due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator, changing that sure made things better but still not good. I've double checked the timing on the belt and is good.

Problems seem to start when the engine is hot, there are no real problems when cold. And it revs up nicely when not under load. The fact that it does get up to top speed rules a lot of things out but right now I'm puzzled, I don't know where to start and I would really appreciate some assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 11:38 #224133 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny stutter
Welcome to the forum. As part of the service did you install new spark plugs leads and coil?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Kreidler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 14:02 #224139 by Kreidler
Replied by Kreidler on topic Jimny stutter
Yes I have

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 14:14 #224141 by Lambert
Ok. The crank sensor you replaced was it proper one from a reputable supplier, there are an increasing number of fakes on sites like Ebay?

• Kreidler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 14:42 #224143 by Kreidler
It's not an original but from a good local parts supplier, is there any way to test it?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 15:14 #224145 by Lambert
I'm sure there will be but I don't know what it is, probably a voltage or resistance change. Anyone know for sure?

• partho00
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 16:08 #224148 by partho00
Replied by partho00 on topic Jimny stutter
I’m having a similar problem with an 05 vvt. Engine is fine when cool, then when warm suddenly loses power and almost stalls when at a stop, but when revved upto 3000 with no load turns over fine. Engine is very wobbly when problem occurs but to my ear doesn’t sound like a misfire. Changed crank sensor (not cam) with no joy. Sounds like cam sensor and new plugs leads & coil might be next on the list. No relevant engine faults showing up on the fault reader. Is there anything else that could cause an intermittent problem when engine is warm?
I’ll follow this post see if anyone else has more input.
Thanks and good luck Bob!

More
28 Jun 2020 16:20 #224152 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny stutter
Get a cheap water sprayer bottle
fill it with cold water and when problem kicks in jump out and spray the crank sensor (behind alternator)
If it springs back to life when sensor is cold buy a new one of good quality

More
28 Jun 2020 16:25 - 28 Jun 2020 16:27 #224154 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Jimny stutter
I often wonder about the throttle position sensor (TPS), which is in essence a potentiometer that spends most of its working life moving around. They are often overlooked but give essential feedback to the ECU on the throttle position so that the fueling is correct. If you have any old electronics in your home you know the volume control, which is also a potentiometer, often fails such that the volume control stops being linear ie. flat spots.
They are cheap enough but very don't get changed that often.
I am not say this is the cause of your problem, but it may be worth checking (or replacing) as a very last resort.
Interested in what corrects this problem, always difficult to be accurate with intermittent faults.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 16:27 by Scimike.

• Kreidler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 16:28 #224155 by Kreidler
I don't think a g13bb has a crank sensor? I can't find anything behind the alternator

More
28 Jun 2020 16:30 #224157 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny stutter

Kreidler wrote: I don't think a g13bb has a crank sensor? I can't find anything behind the alternator

I was replying to partho00 with the vvt

• Kreidler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 16:31 #224158 by Kreidler
The tps gives a steady output and when turned it gives no stutter like you describe, I however do not know the exact resistance values it should be. I measured this in cold condition though

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds