BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:I managed to crack the ABS ring! :)

More
28 Jun 2020 07:46 - 28 Jun 2020 07:46 #224124 by HUN
I used brand new parts and did not heat up anything. Bearing went on with relatively small effort (no reading on pressure gauge taken means less than 1t pressure was applied). New ABS collar took 9t load at the end.

Next time I'm planning to cut off the ABS collar again but use the bearing splitter with the press to remove the wheel bearing only. The high tensile threaded bars hopefully can cope with less than one tonne force...will see.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 07:46 by HUN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dano0404
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 21:52 #224204 by Dano0404
Replied by Dano0404 on topic I managed to crack the ABS ring! :)

Lambert wrote: Did you apply any heat to the ring, not glowing but hot like 200c?

Yes. I work with things like this but didn't seen to make a difference.

More
29 Jun 2020 14:13 #224238 by maverick
I take it you have a Rear Disc Conversion fitted?

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
29 Jun 2020 14:38 #224240 by HUN
Yes, I have. :woohoo:

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• Livinti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2020 13:30 - 26 Aug 2020 14:49 #227367 by Livinti
Replied by Livinti on topic I managed to crack the ABS ring! :)
Hi there,

The question for me still remains, how could the seal, or bearing fail so early?

I have the similar problem. After having the seal and bearing replaced in a garage, giving them the picture illustrated replacement instructions from BigJimny :-) the oil leakage started in a few weeks... Sometimes life is complicated and had other priorities, so did not return to the garage and drove it for long weeks. No high milage, occasional not heavy offroad. Now removed it with a help of a friend and bearing ring shows play, seal looks also damaged. How could a bearing and/or seal fail in 3-4 weeks?

The built in bearing/seal/retainer was the right quality set from BigJimny.

Now I am also facing the task of retainer ring plus bearing removal. :-/

But fear that there is another problem and leak will come back after building in new material...

Do you have anyidea, where the problem could be? Might be damage on the shaft surface, BELOW the retainer ring surface, letting oil out berween the shaft and the ring?!?

Any experience, suggestion would be appreciated...

Thx in advance!
Last edit: 26 Aug 2020 14:49 by Livinti.

More
26 Aug 2020 16:30 #227372 by maverick
maybe they used too much force to push the ABS Collar on, or it was not on properly?

Where is the Collar "cracked" - can you upload a photo?

Jalapeño, IISY?

• Livinti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2020 19:34 #227378 by Livinti
The ABS retainer ring seems intact, no crack on it and at first sight, both bearings and rings are on their correct place, thus I do not understand why the setup have failed. Might be the bearing was damaged during installation or either one of them not pushed correctly to the end position?

I was only wondering, if the oil escapes somewhere else? Between the retainer ring and the halfshaft surface? But it does not sound now logic, Because after dismantling, both the bearing and the seal seems damaged. How could this happen so fast?

More
26 Aug 2020 19:41 - 26 Aug 2020 19:48 #227379 by HUN
In my case some stupid spanner monkey has fitted a 2nd (new) seal on top of the 1st (old) one :sick: when I took the car to a noname garage for repair due to leaking diff oil from the rear axle. This poor job has been discovered 3 years and 8k miles later when I instaled the rear disk conversion! Tbh I did not see any significant damage of recess of bearing and/or seal but I think it's likely that the axle housing is damaged somehow. I cannot really understand how I could install incorrectly the ABS ring, once it's fully pushed against the bearing I think it's OK. Or not? Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm certainly not really experienced in bearing replacement (done it 2x - both failed!) therefore any explanation is welcome! :laugh:

My old ABS ring was intact, it only cracked when I was grinding away all materials, making it paper thin!

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Aug 2020 19:48 by HUN.

• Livinti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2020 15:35 #227400 by Livinti
Thank you all for the feedback!

Will proceed with the "normal" overhaul procedure of removing and changing all parts and then cross fingers...

At least I will know how and how good the assembly was done omce it will be done by my good skill friend.

Once the parts are here and the diff is also back from overhaul, will proceed!

More
27 Aug 2020 15:58 #227401 by Roger Fairclough
I am a little worried about this 1.6mm deep cut in the shaft. Is this a cut similar to a hacksaw blade or is it the depth of a ground down flat on the shaft. Either way this could cause an oil leak depending how long it is.

Roger

More
06 Sep 2020 19:15 #227847 by HUN
After the oil seal failed on my trip on the way to Europe I have put on SORN my Jimny last month. :(
Today I have taken the leaking rear shaft out to check what's wrong this time. Seemingly nothing...just there was oil everywhere. Bearing is brand new, has run less than 300 miles in total. I have discovered some surface damage though on the bushing of the axle housing. However the oil seal sits deeper in the hole so when properly fitted the damage is still visible above the ring. Therefore it should not cause oil leak in my opinion. I removed the oil seal in order to see what's underneath the mating surfaces.

Those small imperfections are towards the outer edge hence I think it does not cause oil leak. :S

Then I've found where the oil could go under the ABS ring!

This is where the cutting disk of an angle grinder damaged my axle previously. Whitout removing the ABS ring I cannot really tell how long the cut is but certainly not longer than the lenght of the ABS ring. As far as I can remember it's a max 20mm long diagonal cut.
So there is a chance the oil goes in but I cannot see where it goes out! :blink:

Everywhere I guess! :laugh:

I cannot wait to be able to get a floating axle kit and forget this factory setup for good.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2020 19:33 #227849 by Lambert
Would it be possible to fill that cut with a 2 part epoxy then you are at least mobile?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds