BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Air lock in heater pipes?

• Bru
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2020 12:17 #223736 by Bru
Air lock in heater pipes? was created by Bru
Hi, I'm sorry, this is going to sound so basic, I'm sure It'll bore some people to death, but I'm completely non-technical so need a bit of advice.
The heater in my Jimny isn't working. The radiator is fine, the blower is blowing, there's just no heat. It's fine for now of course, but come winter, it will be a different story.
Very kindly, someone from the site suggested it could be an airlock in the heater pipes, but....
How do I find out and is it something a complete novice and a complete clutz could do without causing irreparable damage and making it a whole lot worse?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2020 12:37 #223737 by jackonlyjack
If you have drive on ramps
Drive up them forwards to make the radiator cap the highest point
(If no ramps steep hill/grass bank or anything)
remove radiator cap (better with engine cold to avoid scolding yourself)
run engine heater on hot and full fan
squeeze top and bottom radiator hoses
this should get any air out

Or it could be the control leaver under dash near clutch pedal (these can fall apart)

More
19 Jun 2020 12:41 #223738 by jackonlyjack
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2020 12:45 #223739 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Air lock in heater pipes?
If it's not an air trap or heater control as above ^^^^ it's possible the matrix is blocked. You can try flushing with a hose pipe by removing the heater matrix feed pipes, but it's best done during a coolant change as you are going to loose coolant in the process. The matrix feed pipes are shown in the photo.
These should both be hot if water is flowing into the matrix, so you could have a feel and let's us know if they are warm or not.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:

• Bru
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2020 13:55 #223740 by Bru
Replied by Bru on topic Air lock in heater pipes?
Hi Jack, Thanks, the heater control under the dash, should it be 'one' unit, (the two bits linked together) mine is two bits - the top and the bit with the wire aren't joined together?

More
19 Jun 2020 14:44 #223742 by jackonlyjack
Yes should be linked
In this picture you can see a the pivot point

This picture is set to hot on heater
Attachments:

• Bru
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2020 15:08 #223744 by Bru
Replied by Bru on topic Air lock in heater pipes?
Blimey!!! - Thank you so much - it works, I just put them back together and whammo! - You've saved me a trip to the garage, all their flannel and probably money I can ill afford, I'm overwhelmed...it's been like that since last year, Thank you.

More
19 Jun 2020 15:50 #223746 by jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds