BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

springs with dislocating cones

More
10 Jun 2020 18:05 #223459 by safari
hi everybody has any one here made springs with dislocating cones for extra articulation .would love to do them on my jimny but confused on shocks length and other parts

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2020 20:59 #223468 by X8GGY
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNoticed these on eBay...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jun 2020 05:58 #223471 by Lambert
I'm not entirely sure what the benefit is supposed to be in having springs be able to dislocate. It makes the wheel remain in contact with the ground longer but there is so little pressure applied to that tyre that it's effective traction is is minimal which with an open diff means wheel spin and with a locking diff it makes no difference if the wheel is kinda touching the ground or is 2 feet in the air drive will still go equally to the other side of the axle. As for stability if there is an air gap between the spring and the chassis or the wheel and the ground it is still a gap that is unsupported.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Jun 2020 11:18 #223479 by 300bhpton
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of dislocating setups. But is there really significantly less pressure on the wheel than a non dislocating setup?

Surely if your retained spring is fully extended, then it too is only the weight of the unsrpung mass pulling it down. As the vehicle weight clearly isn't on that wheel, else the spring would be compressed.

If articulation across the axle is occurring, a retained spring that is too short may actually be pulling up, rather than pushing down as the spring is stretched. Which I'd have thought would give less ground pressure than the same wheel but with a dislocated spring.

More
11 Jun 2020 13:15 - 11 Jun 2020 13:15 #223488 by Scimike
Just thinking about it. Some of the load from the compressed side will be transferred through the solid axle due to the leverage against the compressed wheel, so it's possible more load is present on the decoupled side than just the unsprung mass?
So it may offer more traction.
Complications due to the solid coupling of both wheels :laugh:

Still not answered Safaris question - anyone got any suggestions about shock length?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Jun 2020 13:15 by Scimike.

More
11 Jun 2020 13:34 #223489 by safari
Tks everyone for the feedback
Basically I am willing to make dislocated cones because our offroad is mainly on articulation therefore crossaxel since it is offroad on rocks
Jimny is very capable compered to land rover but a land rover with dislocated cones in this terrain have a plus on me sometime you just need that little bit more traction to get out of a situation

More
11 Jun 2020 13:39 #223491 by safari
my Jimny on the move

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Jun 2020 16:16 #223499 by Riccy
The radius arm bushings will bind up before the spring runs out of travel and dislocates, unless your changing them to johnny joints, or going 3-link with it all.

Then you would need to increase shock travel significantly too. I would say the dislocation kit is pointless on a fairly normal jimny. Lockers would be a better investment :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
11 Jun 2020 18:21 #223506 by Busta
Wouldn't replacing the bushes with Johnny joints not just make the whole axle bind up? I thought it's the big squishy rubber bushes that allow it to flex in the first place.

More
11 Jun 2020 18:55 #223507 by 300bhpton
In terms of shock length. I’d have thought as long as possible. The limitations are the closed length. You will still want the axle to uptravel/compress without bottoming the shock out.

On a Land Rover you would move the upper shock mount to allow for a much longer shock. Thus retain the compression with much more droop. I assume something similar can be done on a Jimny.

More
12 Jun 2020 02:13 - 12 Jun 2020 02:20 #223519 by zukebob
Safari:
Trying to back this up to the original question, are you currently having an issue with your springs dislocating?

If not, are you considering a suspension mod that might cause spring dislocation?

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 12 Jun 2020 02:20 by zukebob.

More
12 Jun 2020 08:34 #223522 by kirkynut
Save up for a locker. Much more effective.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds