BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Battery Voltage

More
18 Jun 2020 22:50 - 18 Jun 2020 22:51 #223726 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Battery Voltage
For anyone interested...or for future reference...

The new alternator appears to have revived my Jimny.

Before replacement of the alternator, the car consistently got around 180-200 miles per tank. I put this down to an aftermarket metal bumper and some 235/75/15 heavy mud tyres and accepted it.

I change the alternator before I set off on a trip from Swansea to Newcastle - some 360 miles (720 total miles return). Noteworthy that the car also has a dual battery setup and a 13,500 lbs winch - I say this as I have technically added around 40kg to the front end (which I assumed would further hurt my mpg).

The car drove superb - it was holding 5th gear better, it held 70mph easily (previously very tiresome), it was responsive on the throttle and best of all, I measured my mileage per tank at 240! That worked out around 27 mpg! I am completely blown over by this - it's not a record by any stretch, but a hell of an improvement! I have no real idea why this might be, but a guess at a stronger spark? Less resistance from a new alternator? No idea... but I like it.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2020 22:51 by Reason2doubt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jun 2020 04:03 #223727 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Battery Voltage
Long runs always give you better mileage than pottering around town just because you're operating in the peak efficiency of the car for extended periods. Also a good motorway run will clean up the internal components of your engine especially if you're using a branded fuel with a good detergent package as again everything is running at operating temperature for a long period. It's effectively an Italian tune up and the car will feel better for it for months afterwards. The other contributing factor is definitely the alternator being healthy again, a big fat spark is always a good thing. It feels good when you work on your car and it improves doesn't it!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
19 Jun 2020 07:55 #223729 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Battery Voltage

Lambert wrote: Long runs always give you better mileage than pottering around town

The best bit about it is the 180-200 was measured on the motorway too! I got those figures from my last two trips from Newcastle -> Swansea. I wouldn't want to know what I get pottering around town! :lol: :lol:

I also noted the car isn't drinking a whole load of oil now...I wonder if the catalytic converter was a bit blocked? I dunno...pulling guesses out my bum now.

More
19 Jun 2020 09:24 #223734 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Battery Voltage
It's all certainly going to help, less load on the engine due to the efficiency of the working alternator and better exhaust flow. It's got to be breathing more easily, so is going to feel more frisky !
Good to know it's money not wasted, may even pay back if the improvement continues.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Jun 2020 14:29 #223774 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Battery Voltage
Dang only just joined this forum and came across this article,my jimny is a 2000 model with electrical gremlins ,I'll be checking this one out, thanks

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

More
28 Jun 2020 23:24 #224207 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Battery Voltage
Thanks for the heads up about the alternator checked mine, 11v at idle to 15v revved up put new one in,different car, old one is a denso maybe original?20 year's old ,found coolant leek as well, cheers

More
29 Jun 2020 06:02 #224212 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Re:Battery Voltage

Old Neil wrote: Dang only just joined this forum and came across this article,my jimny is a 2000 model with electrical gremlins ,I'll be checking this one out, thanks

Glad it helped - I'm trying to pick up bits here and there from the vast amounts of expertise on this forum.

You may have to get a new battery too, if you haven't already Neil? I tested mine the other day and whilst it had only been in the car 6 months with the old alternator, it has been verified as damaged by a local garage. I noticed that the voltage was lacking on my dual battery monitoring gizmo - only holding 13.5 - 14v with engine on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Old Neil

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds