BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Petrol leak

More
27 May 2020 07:43 #222860 by BGBrit
Petrol leak was created by BGBrit
After a few weeks of getting a whiff of petrol fumes I decided today to check this out... I discovered a leak- a damp area - running from the top of the petrol tank to the underside of it, and after shutting off the engine I could hear a hiss coming from the petrol tank area itself. I suspect and perished hose or a loose connection as I don't see how a puncture to the metal tank top surface would be likely. Has anyone had a similar problem and what was your fix? The tank still holds petrol it's not gushing out.
Tony.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2020 11:33 - 27 May 2020 11:34 #222868 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Petrol leak
Not on a JImny but I had a similar thing happen on another vehicle - the way the tank was made was like... imagine a washing-up bowl with a flat lid welded over the top.

...The welded seam had started rotting. It only leaked when the tank was full, and as I'm a big believer of leaving a tank full rather than empty, in order to reduce condensation, it had to be replaced

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 27 May 2020 11:34 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2020 12:27 #222871 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Petrol leak
It could be the gasket on the fuel gauge sender but I confess I've never had reason to inspect a Jimny tank. Chris.

More
27 May 2020 12:47 #222872 by BGBrit
Replied by BGBrit on topic Petrol leak
I was surprised at this too, on a Jimny, the fact is over the 50 years of car ownership, new and old bangers, this is my first experience of a leaky tank. Does anyone know the proceedures to drop a tank for inspection? Seems like the prop would need removing too... First time for everything.
Tony

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2020 15:10 #222892 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Petrol leak
Somewhere on the forum there is a detailed feature on removing the tank ( I think it's got something to to with rust prevention), hopefully someone will chime in. Only ever had a problem with a S800 coupe where the tank was inside the car! Thank goodness we've moved on from that safety feature. Chris

More
27 May 2020 15:24 #222893 by BGBrit
That would be great if someone could point me in that direction of removal... One other thought, is there a removable inspection cover under the seats to get access to the tank top, I'm sure it's from there any repairs could be carried out. Only I have heard the prop shaft needs to be removed and the tank dropped to gain access to the connections which seems a hassle of sorts.

Cheers
Tony.

More
27 May 2020 16:20 #222896 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Petrol leak
Hi Tony,
Not had need to get at the tank in our Jimny, but having removed the back seats I can confirm no designed access to the tank from above (2005 to 2018). However Jimny rust can provide a large access area if you are unlucky ! :laugh:
I believe it's a get at it from underneath, best don't with a near empty tank due to the weight. I am sure someone will have done this, so hold out for a more detailed instruction.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 May 2020 16:36 #222897 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Petrol leak
Tank removal from below is pretty easy. Its prop off and undo the 4 or 5 bolts, then lower slowly with it as empty as possible.

There are 3 pipes and a wiring connector onto the top of the tank which will need disconnected, or you can undo the small bolts holding the pump/sender unit into the tank and remove it without unplugging pipes and wires here.
There is also the filler and breather pipes to disconnect at the side of the tank. There is an anti-siphon device in the tank neck which means you cant use that method to empty the tank. Its either run it as dry as you can or crack a fuel line off and use the pump to drain it that way.

On mine the neck where the filler pipe connects had corroded and was causing petrol smells as well as leaking fuel if brimmed. I took filler pipe off and used some body filler and rust convertor to clean it up, then sealed the pipe back on with amalgamating tape. A bit of a bodge, but it will do until I get ahold of a decent used tank. Solved the leak issue as well.

Mine is a tipper Jimny, so its easy to get at the top of the tank now. This pic will give you an idea of what it looks like from a view you cant normally see:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
29 May 2020 12:51 #222985 by BGBrit
Thanks all for the info, it's given me confidence to have go. At the moment, the Jimny is on stands and the prop is out, (8 bolts and a whack with a heavish hammer and it poped out). The tank has had it's bolts removed and is hanging or should I say wedged in place so it doesn't drop completely. Waiting for my son tonight to check where the leak is, (he has better eyes than me). Hopefully the access is enough as it is, without it's full removal.
Cheers
Tony.

More
29 May 2020 21:06 #223010 by BGBrit
To continue with petrol tank removal: We disconnected the rear part of the exhaust. Dropped the petrol tank out without using the special tool from Suzuki. Just place two small screwdrivers into the connector ends and when full inserted twist them 90 degrees to allow the sides to come away from the wedges, and with a third hand pull off the connectors fastened to the sender outlets. The electrics came off easily by pushing in the tabs. The two filler pipe's wire clips, I think the smaller one is a breather, but not sure, came away after spraying penetrating oil on first, but they twisted as they were corroded quite badly (I'll replace them with jubilee clips when reassembling).
I don't like the plastic piping and the connectors at all, so I will cut the plastic off where they are heat welded to the metal pipe work and discard them for fuel rubber hoses and clip them using jubilee clips to both ends, one end to the metal pipe, and the other to the plastic outlets of the sender. They appear strong enough to take a jubilee clip (we shall see). The petrol leak was coming from the smaller petrol return connector, we checked the o-ring and it appeared fine, perhaps the plastic connector was distorted which caused the sight leakage, but the leak although small was defiantly from there.
So, the Jimny is standing tall on stands overnight and perhaps for a few days more while I source 8mm and 10mm fuel hose and stainless steel jubilee clips, hopefully this will sort out the leaking petrol problem. While the tank was out I inspected the under floor and apart from a few minor spots of rust it looks in pretty good shape for ten years old.

A question for you... What is the best paint to use to repaint the tank?
Cheers
Tony.

More
31 May 2020 15:57 #223070 by BGBrit
Petrol tank is now petrol tight. The outlet connector was discarded and replaced (as this was the cause of the leak), with 10mm ID rubber hose and the return pipe replaced using 8mm ID rubber pipe while using stainless steel jubilee clips. While it was out, I Kurusted the odd spot of rust on the underside of the boot floor and 3 hours later undersealed it and the petrol tank top too. Having copper greased the bolts the tank was refitted along with the exhaust. The prop shaft was fitted in its original position following the hacksaw marks I made before its removal.
The tank was partial filled while still on the deck and the engine turned over and run for 20 minutes to check for leaks before it was refitted. There were no leaks or running problems, no air locks ect and after a local 20 minutes drive all was still well. I did consider cutting an inspection hole in the boot floor but dismissed this in case it was a future issue with mot.
Alls well, that ends well.

Tony.

More
05 Jun 2020 09:26 #223278 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Petrol leak
The only thing that could have gone wrong in replacement is snagging the breather pipe. When you put fuel in at the pump the air can't escape out of the breather and the fuel sprays out of the filler all over you, so be careful on your first fill up as it's hard to see if you trapped it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds