BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

replacing the original roof bars

• adrian-herscu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2020 10:16 - 22 May 2020 10:19 #222655 by adrian-herscu
replacing the original roof bars was created by adrian-herscu
Hi all!

I have a 2017 Jimny with the original roof bars/racks.
Every weekend or so I travelling to our hang gliding site.
The hang glider weights about 40 kg and occasionally I am taking a friend or two with their hang gliders.
So at peak the weight might be around 100-110 but usually is no more than 70.
My packed glider is about 4 meters but others' might be up to 5.

Currently I am using this construction:

It worked pretty well but I hate the front support and thinking about getting rid of it.

Thought about shortening the horizontal bars to 3 meters and attaching them to the roof racks with some steel brackets and bolts.
But then someone told me the Jimny's original bars are held in place by plastic mounts!!! and these tend to weaken because of sun's heat!

Is that true?

Someone else told me that replacing the original bars may cause corrosion at the attachment surface. Any hints about how to do it right?

TIA
Adrian.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2020 10:19 by adrian-herscu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2020 10:31 #222656 by jackonlyjack
I have home made bars been on for 3 years no corrosion
just made some rubber pads to sit on
Attachments:

More
22 May 2020 11:38 #222661 by Scimike
Yep don't worry about corrosion, that's nonsense. So long as you protect the paintwork you are just bolting direct to the roof studs, most (including the original) just have rubber pads under the feet.

Yes the original rack ends are plastic!

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds