BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine oil leak !

• M-B-E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2020 16:42 #222545 by M-B-E
Engine oil leak ! was created by M-B-E
Hey everyone,

First time posting on the site but I could really use some help .....

I got 2004 jimny which has a oil leak. From what I can tell it’s coming from between the sump and the bell housing. Am I right In saying that this means the rear crank seal has gone ? Is there any tips you have for finding the definite cause for the oil leak ?

Also if it is the rear crank seal, how much of a pain is it to do ? I’m pretty capable with Tools and whatnot but I’m concerned it might just be better to ask a garage to sort it

Any advice is more than welcome
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 May 2020 19:03 #222550 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Engine oil leak !
Welcome to the forum. I've not had cause to do that myself but it is essentially a bit more on top of a clutch job so if you're up for that then off you go. Personally I'd have it to the garage as I don't really consider a clutch a driveway job.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• M-B-E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2020 19:37 #222552 by M-B-E
Replied by M-B-E on topic Engine oil leak !
Thanks for the reply and the welcome !
Iv not really got the means of being able to shift the transmission box around as it looks pretty heavy and like there’s not much space under there haha
I don’t suppose you’ve got any idea of the kind of cost they’d want for such a thing ? I guess around £500 - £600 if it’s abit more on top getting to the clutch

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 May 2020 03:19 #222558 by Lambert
I'd guess that sounds about right, depends on how well you know the garage.

More
20 May 2020 08:03 #222560 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Engine oil leak !
Just going to say hello and welcome as I can't add much more.

I tend to do my own clutch replacements as I have all the kit, but you are going to need a good trolley jack and 4 ramps to get the vehicle high. This assumes you can get at the shaft seal easily with the engine in place, otherwise it's an engine out clutch / seal replacement, requiring an engine hoist. Phone around for a few quotes, like insurance cost can vary considerably. If you have a trusted garage then just go with them, they are few and far between these days.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 May 2020 08:37 #222562 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Engine oil leak !
Before you do it, I would quickly check by looking behind the top of the engine. There are two leak points there, the rocker cover gasket and the Cam Sensor housing. See if there is oil around the back. It is worth a look to avoid taking the clutch apart and finding the seal is ok.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
20 May 2020 13:01 #222569 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Engine oil leak !
I agree with Martin - before undertaking/paying for any costly work, I'd give everything a thorough degreasing/clean and keep a very close eye on the oil leak over the course of about a week.

Fresh oil leaks and weeps are easier to track than large dirty wet areas.

That oil could be tracking there from multiple places :)

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2020 18:15 #222600 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Engine oil leak !
Is the clutch slipping, is the leak engine or gearbox ( you'll know by the smell)? Give it a good clean first and keep some spare oil onboard. Don't lose too much sleep over it, oil is a good rust inhibitor. Chris

More
23 May 2020 07:59 #222717 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Engine oil leak !
You can have a little look inside the bell housing by removing the cover for the clutch cable adjustment. Put it back properly or you'll find it missing one day.

If you can access an inspection camera, I got one from Christmas but it's not ventured out of its box yet, you might be able to pop that up through that hole for a little look for oil.

I echo everything that has been said about the higher usual oil leaks though. When they're hidden at the back of the engine they can be hard to find.

I've not long sold an E46 BMW, that's like having a degree in oil leak tracing!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• M-B-E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2020 10:27 #223047 by M-B-E
Thanks everyone for your help ! I love the idea of the inspection camera, would have never of thought of that. Iv ordered one to see if I can see anything.
I spent a while under the car the other day and noticed I have a couple sump bolts that are just spinning in their holes (these bolts are the ones that are behind that inspection plate on the bell housing. The inside of the bell housing seems to be quite clean so maybe the situation is no where near as bad as I first thought ? Waiting for the bits to do a sump reseal with some helicoils for those spinny bolts.

I checked the rocker cover and shaft sensor and they both seem to be okay. The oil definitely doesn’t come from that high up.

I’ll keep you all updated when I know more

Again thank you for all your wisdom and help

• M-B-E
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 22:58 #225373 by M-B-E
So after much chasing around the engine bay, the results are in !
From what I can tell the oil is actually coming from the front of the engine, running down the sides of the sump, to the back. It’s then looking at the bottom of the bell housing. The source of this is behind the main pulley for the crank. Sounding like a oil pump seal ?

What do you guys think ?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Jul 2020 04:40 #225375 by Lambert
Min was exactly the same after the head gasket was replaced. It was the main crankshaft front seal, the garage had tried to get away with reusing the original 100k seal that didn't appreciate being distributed.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds