BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny is being choked-what could the issue be?

• TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Apr 2020 01:26 #221663 by TokGuy
Hello,

I'm a new member from Alberta, Canada. Jimnys are quite uncommon here, so you'll forgive if this is a bit of a dumb question.

My 1992 Jimny here has an annoying issue. When idling or crawling around a parking lot, it seems fine. But when you demand any sort of power, it lugs like you just slammed it into too high of a gear. But in neutral and at low speed, you can rev it to the moon as per usual. Something is choking it or holding it back. The only time is approaches normal function is in the tiniest little "sweet spot" of throttle, where it will twitch and jerk and attempt to pull as it should..

Initially I assumed the crusty old fuel filter that the previous owner never changed was the culprit. But I changed it, ran some fuel line flush through, and nothing really changed. I don't suspect an electrical issue, because the motor is ticking over fine, and I don't suspect some of the more outlandish ideas I was suggested by people elsewhere, like the timing belt or fuel pump. The odd behaviour of the throttle and the "choking" just screams "fuel issue" to me.

I was thinking of swapping the fuel regulator next, but I was hoping to get some advice/opinions elsewhere here before spending even more cash on this car (since nobody in the country carries Jimny parts). Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm starting to go a bit nuts here. It has the 660 Turbo, with only 60,000km on it, it shouldn't be failing this hard this early.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2020 04:59 - 30 Apr 2020 05:01 #221666 by DAGZOOK
Hi Tok, Without sounding vague the issue could be multiple things. The Jim looks very tidy, so I'm assuming the motor has been equally cared for?

The things I'd be checking when hunting down engine hesitance/sluggishness are:

- Regular good quality oil changes?
- Ignition/good spark. Check the condition of your plugs and leads (measure the resistance of your leads) loads of info online about this.
- Timing, distributor cap/ coil pack. I'm not familiar with the early Jim engine but I suspect it had a distributor cap? if so check and replace the contacts.
- Fuel delivery, check the condition of your injectors/Carburettor. Might be worth buying some fuel additive and giving the car a 'Italian tune up' on the highway.
- Throttle body, have a quick look at you're throttle body and ensure the butterfly valve isn't chocked/gummed up.
- Vacuum leaks. This is a really common one! Any sort of poor seal around the engine air intake, Modern cars often suffer from vacuum leaks post Air intake sensors which messes up the cars fuel/air mixture is out of sync. Vacuum leaks could also be a poor seal around the oil Dipstick so check the little O-Ring on the plunger.

- I don't think a '92 Jim will have a catalytic converter? but in the rare instance that it did.. Again get a food fuel system cleaning additive and drive the car like you stole it.

My old sports car had a very similar problem, It turned out to be Ignition (spark p, leads & coil pack) along with several bad vacuum leaks. I replaced all of the rubber vacuum hoses for new and replaced the ignition gear, the engine had a new lease of life.
:whistle:
Last edit: 30 Apr 2020 05:01 by DAGZOOK.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Apr 2020 06:18 #221671 by Lambert
I agree with the vacuum idea, the fact that it is bogged under load suggests that the timing is not advancing which means a vacuum leak. Probably. We in the uk didn't get the 660 turbo so knowledge of specific issues is somewhat limited.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Apr 2020 08:37 - 30 Apr 2020 08:41 #221678 by Scimike
Hello and welcome. Very tidy Jimny, looks well maintained.

Plenty of good suggestions above, but reading your description my mind kept going to plugs and or weak coil pack as a possible cause also. Like Dagzook I had an old classic car that had this problem, ultimately caused by the coil / plugs / HT leads. I also don't known anything about the 660 turbo engine unfortunately (is it fuel injection or carburettor?), but with a carburettor the same could occur if the accelerator pump had failed, an enrichment device under on acceleration demand. Just my old uninformed mind throwing out some suggestions.
But keep it simple, and if you don't know the service history of any components that's the place to start, a good service and check of timing etc.
May not be the cause, but it eliminates some items and a service is not wasted cash.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 Apr 2020 08:41 by Scimike.

More
30 Apr 2020 09:38 #221681 by Max Headroom
A BIGJimny welcome to you from the UK, Tokguy

Im with the possible vacuum issues everyone else has mentioned, and Simike mentioned coil-packs as being one of the usual suspects.
Also, check and/or clean any in-line fuel filters for debris

Good luck, and let us know how if any of the suggestions here reveal anything

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Apr 2020 18:32 #221706 by TokGuy
It is fuel-injected.

I suppose that I’ll have to check the vacuum lines and electrics. I’m hoping it’s nothing as serious as the injectors needing a swap. Hopefully I can get it running and have good news for everyone who responded.

• TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2020 02:04 #221771 by TokGuy
Well, I had it looked at by my local Suzuki dealer. The tech was unfamiliar with the 660 Turbo (obviously), but he tested it out. The vacuum lines were ok, they held a load fine he said. The distributor, he said, was fine, the car isn’t skipping, misfiring or anything. And likewise, he doesn’t suspect the fuel regulator.

He suspected a turbo issue, since it only judders and bogs under load. What do you guys think?

More
02 May 2020 08:46 #221779 by DAGZOOK

TokGuy wrote: Well, I had it looked at by my local Suzuki dealer. The tech was unfamiliar with the 660 Turbo (obviously), but he tested it out. The vacuum lines were ok, they held a load fine he said. The distributor, he said, was fine, the car isn’t skipping, misfiring or anything. And likewise, he doesn’t suspect the fuel regulator.

He suspected a turbo issue, since it only judders and bogs under load. What do you guys think?

Hi Tok, did your mechanic test the rest of the ignition system i.e leads and spark plugs?

Usually a weak spark will cause intermittent misfire/misfire under load. (Which could wrongly be interpreted as the engine bogging).

Unfortunately I don't know enough about turbochargers to give you any advice on that! I would just be sure to rule out all of the cheap general maintenance checks first before you go chasing expensive Turbo replacements.

- Fuel delivery - Injectors aren't the easiest to test but if they're blocked or their spray pattern is effected you'll have running issues. Buy some fuel system additive/cleaner and give the car a good booting!
- Spark plugs & leads
- catalytic converter.
- Check for a blowing exhaust, cracked exhaust manifold something to that effect.

More
02 May 2020 08:55 - 02 May 2020 08:56 #221780 by facade
When I reluctantly had a turbodiesel, the things to watch for were blocked intercooler, and the pipes leading to the turbo de-laminating and collapsing internally restricting airflow into the turbo, but looking perfect on the outside.
I suppose the wastegate could be stuck open, or whatever operates it operates too soon, there is usually a test port somewhere to measure the boost pressure, but with an ecu and fuel injection I'd have thought you would get some sort of malfunction light and an error code for low boost.

I'm quite old now, and I've never believed in turbos I'm afraid, so I don't know a great deal about them- it is actually the reason I bought the Gen 4 when I did, as I had picked up on rumours that suzuki might fit some tiny turbo engine.

Whilst you have the inlet pipe off the turbo you can see if the turbo is worn out ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 May 2020 08:56 by facade.

• TokGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2020 18:55 #221814 by TokGuy

GeorgeC wrote: I may be suggesting the obvious and the already tried:
1. Test drive without the air filter.
2. Check the muffler, resonator (if fitted), cat converter (if fitted), and exhaust system for loose metal/rust clogging it up, does it rattle when shaken?
3. Are you using the best fuel, highest octane?

Yes, I have checked the lot. 91 Octane, and the exhaust system is still very fresh.

More
More
03 May 2020 20:31 #221857 by Fossie
We use higher octane on our bikes ...mpg is better as is pick up...equally older (80s-90's ) bikes suffer badly with fuel pipes degrading with high ethanol content fuel which is lower octane.....I add this because I wonder if our North American cousins have the ethanol scurge worse than us with more of it ....so an early example Jimny could have this problem ..
I 've had early Estima diesel turbo before and a common fault was the Turbo actuator seizing , as it was vacuum operated ..to open waste gate ...this caused it to loose acceleration .....being a diesel it wouldn't bog down But a petrol engine would.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds