BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

'05 Corrosion advice Most appreciated....

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Apr 2020 07:59 #221557 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic '05 Corrosion advice Most appreciated....
Hi Facade, I missed that one! Just been having a mooch again and like the look of this one... www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-at133-arc...mma-inverter-welder/ at that price + the Tig option, I think it's worth a try!
Talking about Aldi, I did get their Auto Darkening mask (£23) one of the best buys I've ever made, to be able to stick weld with both hands is a revolution IMO.
Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2020 19:06 #221573 by Jimny Dr
Hi tillymint
Looking at your pictures they all end up needing the same amount of welding in the same areas, don’t waste money on a new front panel just for the bits that the picture shows. I’ve done quite a few now and buying a front panel not give you the front inner wing sections that you needs.
Cut out the rot and rebuilt with new metal providing the chassis mounting section is still good which they normally are.
then seal up with good primer
The doc
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TillymintDLG

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2020 00:36 #221577 by TillymintDLG
Thank you very much for your reply And pics Doc!
The info I am getting from this Great forum is such a big help!
As mine is my only daily driver plus not being able to access my drive at the mo, I can't strip it down to the level that you have (and others) have shown..My local garage, who I have been going to for about 20+ yrs now, very good and they have experienced welders too! Compared with what I have seen here, my '05 seems to have had an easy life re the Jimny rust bug. It's MOT'd till Nov this year and have been waiting for the weather to improve so that I can get underneath and have a good look round..My garage has had a look underneath when I had the flashing 4WD light issue and found a pipe hanging off one of the hubs, and didn't flag anything else (Yes, I trust these guys) I will take off the plastic mudflaps and headlights to get a better idea of what needs to be done...
I am now thinking about stabilising the existing rust as it is now because I am desperate to get out camping with my doggy this year (subject to this scamdemic)..
Thanks to all for your help!
Regards
Gaz & Tilly (SWMBO)

More
28 Apr 2020 10:18 #221590 by facade
Have a look around youtube and forums for mig & tig welding. (e.g. www.mig-welding.co.uk/) If you are going to do your own body repairs it always used to be a mig welder that was more use. I don't think you'd get good results trying to weld rust repairs with a £200 tig welder, but things move on rapidly.

I've got one of the clarke gas/gasless welders a 151EN, you have to switch polarity for gasless wire- and it makes a hell of a mess compared to using gas (but they work in a breeze like a stick welder). I don't know why the 151EN is cheaper than the red ones, but it does look like it was made in 1975. It is supposed to wire to a 30 outlet, but mine came with a 13A plug in The Olden Days, and I've not blown a fuse yet.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Apr 2020 12:20 #221594 by Lambert
The last lot of rust repair I did on the farm was with my sip 174 stick welder with some fairly small rods. With practice it's quite possible to weld thin sections like used oil barrels to a water tight standard. It all depends on how much practice you have.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2020 14:25 #221601 by TillymintDLG
And that's exactly what I'm lacking Lambert! Practice....

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Apr 2020 16:36 #221609 by Lambert
There are many tutorials on the internet that will get you going and with time and some scraps of steel you will get better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 May 2020 08:36 #221724 by HUN
TillymintDLG
An often overlooked spot for rust is the rear upper spring seat. Especially inside the rubber cone! Spring seat mount has a hole on the top which collects water. This hole drains the water directly into the rubber cone which traps the water and keeps the mount internally wet even in dry wheater! When this small bit of metal whithin the rubber is gone the spring will dislocate. Try to avoid this obviously. Just because you cannot see any rust outside it does not mean there it's no heavy rust inside the rubber cones!

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2020 09:11 #221726 by TillymintDLG
Thanks for the tip Hun!
Is it part no 4?

At the mo, I can't get on my drive to do these jobs....
I asked my Son months ago could I come down to his and have a good look underneath,
he has plenty of room! He said OK but then had to cancel because of the WooFloo...
Gaz
Attachments:

More
01 May 2020 09:34 #221728 by jackonlyjack
The rear rubber cones
I popped a hole in the point,so it can't collect water

• TillymintDLG
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2020 11:03 #221732 by TillymintDLG
Good idea Jack! Maybe it doesn't rain in Japan?
Gaz

More
01 May 2020 18:16 #221748 by HUN
Hi Gaz, yes No.4 is the one I meant. Whilst I was trying to pull and turn to remove the cone it produced a wierd sound like smashing bread crumbs :dry: Then the tip of the cone fall down and a good amount of rust mixed with dirt poured out through the hole. My Jimny is also 05 reg so there is chance for this on yours as well.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds