BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen.4 Jacking Advice

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2020 17:46 #221535 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
Unless you have a perfectly level concrete pad to work on be very careful with that and even if you have a good place to work still be very careful and make sure you firmly chock the wheels when lifting one end to the full reach of that jack beam.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 19:38 #221537 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice

DAGZOOK wrote: For all those interested - or those that may be in a similar predicament, I've settled on the following bit of kit. This will allow you to lift the front or rear of the vehicle quickly and safely to a height of around 650mm. Enough even for high reach axle stands! the kit costs £140 - but is guaranteed for years and will enable easy servicing/annual cleaning. Pretty space efficient too..

www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3b-3-ton-troll...ack-and-jacking-beam

Crikey!!!

Get some stands solid underneath the chassis before you go under that :dry:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
26 Apr 2020 21:35 #221544 by Bill Portland

DAGZOOK wrote: For all those interested - or those that may be in a similar predicament, I've settled on the following bit of kit. This will allow you to lift the front or rear of the vehicle quickly and safely to a height of around 650mm. Enough even for high reach axle stands! the kit costs £140 - but is guaranteed for years and will enable easy servicing/annual cleaning. Pretty space efficient too..

www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3b-3-ton-troll...ack-and-jacking-beam

Have you got axle stands already?

More
28 Apr 2020 09:12 #221588 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
Are you sure that's going to fit under the Jimny? 265mm minimum height with the beam. The Jimny is around 200mm under the axles.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Apr 2020 12:39 #221596 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
That measurement has to be with the pads fully extended, otherwise there's precious few standard vehicles that would accommodate it? Unless you're supposed to drive onto a set of jenga blocks first and then jack up the car?

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
28 Apr 2020 15:43 #221603 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Gen.4 Jacking Advice
Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

Should have been more explicit, I've already got axle stands and fully intend to use them chaps. I've also got a set of ramps which I use for general servicing. My driveway is probably about as flat as they come.

The whole reason for wanting the beam is because I'm strongly against jacking from the Diff housing not so much because it's not strong enough, but because it's so easy for the car to tip/fall. Yes the JIM may have to be driven up onto some blocks in order to use the beam - not a big deal. Still far safer than jacking each corner up onto a high stand.

My existing low profile trolley jack is great for the sports car and the odd hatchback, but it won't touch the Jimny unless you use several blocks. I've tried it and it feels unstable with the amount of suspension flex the Jimny has got, the block could slip out.

For my Diff breather install I used the factory scissor jack. I was there for most of the afternoon :whistle:

Happy to take on suggestions if you guys could show me what gear you use? Like I said this is the first 4x4 I've owned, never had this issue before. It's usually the opposite!! (no ground clearance)

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
28 Apr 2020 16:27 - 28 Apr 2020 16:30 #221607 by DAGZOOK
Interesting Snip from the Gen.4 Owners manual.

Suzuki permit jacking the vehicle from the rear diff housing and beside the front diff housing - and recommend placing axle stands under the radius arm body brackets.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 16:30 by DAGZOOK.

More
28 Apr 2020 18:30 #221614 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen.4 Jacking Advice
If I'm lifting one wheel I jack under the radius arm, either where it meets the axle or on the little bobbin for the standard jack, depending where I need access.
If I'm lifting the whole front or rear end I go under the diff housing. There is no problem with tipping because the other axle is either still on the ground or resting on 2 axle stands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
29 Apr 2020 04:44 - 29 Apr 2020 04:45 #221629 by DAGZOOK
Thanks Busta! I feel a little more confident now that the manual and others say it's Okay to do that.

Any recommendations on a Jack? a friend of mine recommended this one as SGS seem to have mixed reviews online. I know that 3 tonne is overkill for the Jim, but it's more about max height, my stands extend to a maximum of 500mm. That sort of clearance would come in handy when giving the underside a power wash :side:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-3040AG-3tonne-Tr..._details?ie=UTF8&me=
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 04:45 by DAGZOOK.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Apr 2020 05:57 #221631 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen.4 Jacking Advice
I just use a halfords 4x4 Jack. It's 2.5 tonnes so light enough to be easily moved and stored and it has a saddle extension piece to get the extra height to accommodate the Jimny.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
30 Apr 2020 16:19 #221700 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen.4 Jacking Advice
I have a similar Sealey 3 ton jack. Mine is the red "professional" one, which helps me feel more qualified than I am. Yes it's overkill but a lot of the lower rated jacks are also physically much smaller so less stable. That said I managed with a very cheap 2 ton trolley jack for years. Blocks of wood, ramps etc all help.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
30 Apr 2020 16:31 #221702 by DAGZOOK
Thanks Busta, I think I'm set on this one. I'll do a little review once it arrives :)

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds