BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen.4 Jacking Advice

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
25 Apr 2020 17:29 - 25 Apr 2020 17:36 #221489 by DAGZOOK
Gen.4 Jacking Advice was created by DAGZOOK
Evening All,

I've invested in some Buzzweld Chassis Paint & Bilt Hamber UB wax with the intention of going to town on the undersize of my 12 months old JIM. I've done similar jobs before on old sports cars with great success.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get as much access to the underside as possible on my flat driveway.. I'm prepared to purchase some new kit to enable me to do this because of the additional jack height required with a 4x4.

Ideally I want the axles to be fully dropped, to give me as much access and hand space underneath the JIM. So to do this I need to figure out the best points to jack the frame up. I managed this just about when I installed my ARB breather kit, but it was a real struggle with the current trolley jack that I own. I also found that because the JIM has such a short wheel base - if you jack from one of the lowest frame points (just behind the radius arms) the vehicle doesn't feel stable.. it feels like a seesaw! Little too close to the vehicles fulcrum for my liking.

The crossmembers at the front and rear of the vehicle are approx. 500mm off the ground, so even a high lift bottle jack won't touch them unless I place a couple of sleepers beneath the jack.

I do own a set of tall drive on ramps.. but as previously mentioned I need the axles to droop in order to get to every nook and cranny!! OHHHH how I wish I had a garage big enough for a 2/4 poster :woohoo: :blink: :silly:

Can anyone recommend some clever gear to enable me to do this? I'd like to be able to lift the whole front/rear independantly opposed to going from corner to corner. I've been looking at high lift bottle/trolley jacks - Tall Axle Stands, Possibly even a Trolley jack with a beam attachment?! etc etc. Budget is around £100 - This'll pay for itself over the duration of my ownership - A good clean/inspection annually will be just the ticket.

I've been looking at SGS - they seem to offer a very large variety of gear.

www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment
Last edit: 25 Apr 2020 17:36 by DAGZOOK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2020 17:37 #221490 by Bill Portland
I'm interested to hear responses to this too. I've also been trying to find a local garage that'll let me use their lift, but with no luck so far.

More
25 Apr 2020 17:47 #221491 by jackonlyjack
Halfords sell high axle stands
I use four ramps select 4wd low and drive up (very safe option) :)

Jack

More
25 Apr 2020 18:00 #221492 by jackonlyjack
Just read through your post
This option works 4"x4" fence post across the chassis rails(sawn to take the shape of axle stand)
remove front bumper and put axle stands under where the bumper mounts
Then 2 more axle stands on rear chassis near tie downs
so 6 axle stands needed

I have used this method and it's not has bad as it sounds
i even tried to push the jimny off the stands before i went underneath
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
25 Apr 2020 18:14 #221493 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
Thanks Jack Only Jack - I've got some long off cuts of railway sleeper from a landscaping project. Thats certainly an option!

Getting the car up in the air isn't the problem - I can jack from the axles. It's supporting vehicle once high enough that's the issue. Timber and a high set of jack stands front and rear sounds good. Like I said, so long as the axles are fully dropped once supported I'll be happy. :cheer:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Apr 2020 18:18 #221494 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
I have a set of 4 Clarke 6 tonne axle stands that extend up to 600mm. These allow me to position them under the chassis and have full droop with the wheels on. While it does mean groveling about on the floor instead of being stood up it affords ample space to be thorough with the rust prevention.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
More
25 Apr 2020 18:27 #221496 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice
Just do the job in stages,
first jack it up as high as you can, whip the wheels off one end and drop the axle do what you can
wheels on, jack the other end wheels off and drop axle,
then jack from the axles and do the rest.

Best plan is to get a 2 post lift- around £1000, then you can get a RangeRover cheap and work on the engine :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Apr 2020 18:28 #221497 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Gen.4 Jacking Advice

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
25 Apr 2020 18:36 #221498 by jackonlyjack
bottle jacks become very unstable when the ram is extended
Just buy a good trolley jack
The one with the beam looks good....but you still need axle stands
never trust a jack to hold

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
25 Apr 2020 18:39 #221499 by DAGZOOK

facade wrote: Just do the job in stages,
first jack it up as high as you can, whip the wheels off one end and drop the axle do what you can
wheels on, jack the other end wheels off and drop axle,
then jack from the axles and do the rest.

Best plan is to get a 2 post lift- around £1000, then you can get a RangeRover cheap and work on the engine :)

Wheels off is definitely another option! I could lift the car from the jack points on the axles, high enough to get a stand under the frame. Drop the wheels and lower the axle down :whistle: Bit of a faff, but hey it's not like I'm short of time at the moment.....

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
26 Apr 2020 15:36 #221527 by DAGZOOK
For all those interested - or those that may be in a similar predicament, I've settled on the following bit of kit. This will allow you to lift the front or rear of the vehicle quickly and safely to a height of around 650mm. Enough even for high reach axle stands! the kit costs £140 - but is guaranteed for years and will enable easy servicing/annual cleaning. Pretty space efficient too..

www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3b-3-ton-troll...ack-and-jacking-beam
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds