BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Be on your guard.

More
18 Apr 2020 14:43 #221208 by Soeley
Be on your guard. was created by Soeley
Thanks to Andy Jimny for pointing this out to me. Anyone that has radius arm guards fitted, it might be worth checking. Mine are Jimnybits, but this could happen with any brand as they all look very similar.

The rear right brake hose is hard up against the radius arm guard. It just needs a slight tweak to the brake pipe clamp, no need to remove it. Just a few gentle taps using a block of wood and a mallet.

The left side is ok, so this is a result of fitting the fuel filter/canister guard. As the bracket for that sits between the chassis and the brake pipe clamp, so in effect you have lowered the clamp by 5mm.

Hard up not quite pinching.

Different angle

Now a bit of clearance

Shows better from this angle. Just tap the clamp upwards
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2020 16:25 - 18 Apr 2020 16:31 #221214 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Be on your guard.
Thanks for pointing this out Soeley, I'm trying to get hold of a set as soon as they are back in stock. I'd personally sleep better at night if I were to take a slitter disk and a grinder and relieve the corner of that one guard by about 10mm. It would have absolutely no impact on the level of protection!

Something to this effect, you get the idea.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2020 16:31 by DAGZOOK.

More
18 Apr 2020 16:52 #221219 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Be on your guard.
That is the handbrake cable. It certainly won't hurt to move it slightly, as if the outer sheath punctures, water will get inside and something will go rusty, but you won't have brake failure or anything if you don't.

The brake pipes are steel and run along the top of the axle.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
18 Apr 2020 19:28 #221226 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Be on your guard.

facade wrote: That is the handbrake cable. It certainly won't hurt to move it slightly, as if the outer sheath punctures, water will get inside and something will go rusty, but you won't have brake failure or anything if you don't.

The brake pipes are steel and run along the top of the axle.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. TBH I didn't follow the pipe to it's end. But now you have said that, I should have know as when I fitted my diff breathers I followed the actual pipes, so should have know really.

More
02 Apr 2021 09:14 #234188 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Be on your guard.
When I was fitting the transfer case guard I noticed the mounting nut closest to the driver was sitting high enough to make contact with the brake pipe.

Has anyone else noticed this? I was planing on grinding down the bolt head as a matter of urgency.

More
02 Apr 2021 10:44 - 02 Apr 2021 10:46 #234191 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Be on your guard.
Mine misses the pipe by at least 5mm. Maybe I bent the pipe upwards when I fitted it to get the bolt in in the first place, I can't remember- but I recall some fiddling to get the bolts in. The nuts are on the bottom, the bolt heads are on the top.

If the bash plate ever moves up enough for that bolt head to hit the pipe, I suspect I will have a lot more to worry about with repairing the chassis!

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 10:46 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan

More
02 Apr 2021 10:58 #234192 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Be on your guard.
I will try and have an exploratory look this weekend.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds