BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G13BB Engine getting old

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2020 23:30 #220391 by Owl
G13BB Engine getting old was created by Owl
Hi All, With the older Jimnys, or maybe even the newer ones, should I keep some spare sensors / parts when I go up in the mountains. My other van has a carb and distributor , I keep and electronic module spare in the glovebox but that it. Nothing much else to go wrong in engine management of that vintage.

But ECU OBD platform cars have a number of sensors some of which can stop the car dead. That said Id be interested to know what would be the things to take with me. Do others take some spare sensors? I know its a case of anything goes but what are the G13BB common faults.

Thanks Owl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Mar 2020 10:15 #220398 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic G13BB Engine getting old
You are in Australia aren't you? I in the uk have never regularly carried spare components to that degree even when I was driving a defender we just don't get remote enough to not have a recovery service on the end of the phone. That and also a well maintained Jimny is generally a reliable vehicle. That said I would think twice if I were to be several days drive from civilisation for an extended period and would probably have a box with a reasonable range of spare parts like cam and crank sensors radiator hoses and even kingpin bearings maybe a clutch cable and even a set of brake pads. I wouldn't bother with wheel bearings because they are not a simple task to replace and aren't that fragile on a standard car. I would also do some research on the common vehicles used where I was going to judge if there was any likelihood of spares availability. First and foremost though I would be servicing my car before I set off, it's what I do prior to my big Scotland road trip every year.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Mar 2020 10:31 #220404 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic G13BB Engine getting old
Most common problem that stops you with a G13 is the rods poking out the side of the engine..
Never had with me anything like sensors even for a 3-4 day trip. But I tend to go with mates and can get help. Of course a couple of straps, all sorts of nuts and bolts, most kinds of glue and tape, metal clamps and cable ties, fluids, all kinds of recovery stuff and tools..
But lesser and lesser parts than i used to, never had any use for it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2020 11:57 #220414 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic G13BB Engine getting old
Thanks Lambert, I'm still laughing at Yakuza saying the rods poking out the side of engine, always a chance of that with those little screaming engines. Yes I'm in Australia and its very easy to get remote , even if you had a phone line, they may not come for a couple days, if your lucky. They wont look for you unless you coax them with beer or a looking fee.

That said, Ill pack a few spares like you guys pointed out. Crank angle, radiator hoses (popped one of those once), I do and will service the vehicle, need to look at brake pads thanks for the reminder.

More
29 Mar 2020 13:01 #220418 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic G13BB Engine getting old
There is no common electronic failure that will leave you stranded on a Jimny. The crank position sensors fail on M13A engines, but they do so progressively so you would still be able to drive. They tend to last 80,000 miles or so, so change it once and it's good for many years.

• Owl
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2020 13:53 #220471 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic G13BB Engine getting old
Thanks Busta, that's interesting and useful info, ive since discovered my G13BB hasn't got a crank angle sensor, one less to worry about.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds