BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New wiki article on M13A engine performance issues and diagnostics

More
25 Mar 2020 12:50 - 25 Mar 2020 12:51 #220249 by Bosanek
I have just created a new wiki article on the combined topic of all M13A engine performance issues and diagnostics.

I did not invent anything new there as I have very little experience with M13A engine (I had a DDiS Jimny for 5 years ...). I assembled the article from several old forum posts which I dug out.

However I know that there is much more such forum knowledge scattered around (remember reading it long ago), but I just can not find it.

I would appreciate help in adding about all the other performance issues and sensors which can go wrong, like coolant temperature sensor, O2 sensors, MAF and MAP sensors, throttle body, whatnot ....

If anyone for any reason can not or does not want to edit that wiki article, please write here or just point to an existing informative post in an old forum discussion, and I will incorporate it into the wiki article.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2020 12:51 by Bosanek. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2020 12:55 - 25 Mar 2020 12:56 #220250 by Bosanek
By the way, this was motivated by an issue which a person that I know has with their M13A engined Jimny, and I want to help them.

The engine had severe stuttering issues and sever loss of power, no matter cold or hot.
EGR valve was cleaned, and both O2 sensors replaced with original ones.

After that, the engine runs just fine until it warms up. After that, it begins to stutter and its power varies widely under throttle (the throttle pedal is pressed at a constant rate, but the engine behaves like someone is pressing and releasing the throttle all the time). When idling, the RPMS go up then down, then up then down, never settling.

That is all the info I know. I would like help on diagnosing the fault.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2020 12:56 by Bosanek.

More
25 Mar 2020 17:17 #220256 by yakuza
Congested catalytic converter is a known issue. Often cat no 1 in the manifold disintegrates and clogges no 2 cat down below. Symptoms was rattling from the manifold and lack of power. Also ignition ping under strain and high revs like going uphill. I went from third gear to fifth gear in the same hill after changing the no2 cat.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Mar 2020 20:26 - 27 Mar 2020 20:31 #220335 by Bosanek
Thank you for the suggestion.

Here is some new info that I got:

The entire saga started when the vehicle began to experience severe loss of power in any condition (cold or hot, etc.).

It was determined that both catalytic converters were destroyed and therefore the contents of both of them were discarded. The vehicle now runs with both catalytic converters present on it, but their contents are actually empty. So effectively NO catalytic converters on the vehicle

Along with this intervention, the EGR valve was cleaned, and both O2 sensors replaced with new original repacement ones.

After that, the vehicle has the following issues:
Runs just fine when cold until the engine warms up. After it warms up, it has severe loss of power, very unstable RPMs when idling, very unstable throttle response, and a lot of fuel smells (probably unburned fuel in the exhaust due to a very rich fuel mixture).

Could it be that the rear O2 sensor is sending deranged readings since there is no catalytic converter anymore? Would it make sense to do so only when the engine is warm?

Also, can the high pressure fuel pump be a cause, if M13A engine has one?

Unfortunately the vehicle is located in a very remote area and bringing it to an OEM Suzuki diagnostic tool would be an endeavor.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 20:31 by Bosanek.

More
31 Mar 2020 10:52 #220500 by Bosanek
Has anyone driven a Jimny with the catalytic converters removed, and how did it behave?

I do not endorse such a setup as a regular (permanent) one. However that is the current temporary setup of a car which I am trying to diagnose.

Would the ECU and the engine operate normally without the catalytic converters, or would they behave abnormally since I suppose that the readings from the O2 sensors would not be quite normal?

More
01 Apr 2020 12:58 #220544 by bryn
I have had similar, lots of flat spots on acceleration and lags so replaced the coils and leads which did the trick. Not wishing to shell too much I managed to source some second hand ones on eBay.

bryn

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds