BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Automatic gear change speeds

• Philosophical
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2020 15:39 #220027 by Philosophical
Automatic gear change speeds was created by Philosophical
Hello peeps

I have been unsuccessful on-line to find any information about the automatic gearbox on my 2014 Jimny. Specifically at what speed or revs the car changes up each gear. The reason I want to know this information is because my little Jimbo revs its heart out in 3rd and will not change into 4th unless I reach 55mph. I want to know if this is normal and/or can the point where it changes gear be adjusted?

Fanks, Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Mar 2020 16:58 #220031 by Lambert
I don't drive out automatic often enough to tell you that precise speed but it's not as high as 55 once it has warmed up. It will however hold revs for a while if it's cold.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andyhereford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2020 17:03 #220032 by Andyhereford
Replied by Andyhereford on topic Automatic gear change speeds
Phil,
If no one else replies I will give you a more detailed reply with the information you ask for tomorrow. I have a 2004 automatic which, once the engine warms up to “ normal” seems to change up and down in the 2500 to 3000 rpm. Of course until the engine is warm it will not change up into top so you can, if you are not careful, get the revs up above 3000 rpm in 3rd gear.
Not being too technical....there will be someone else on hear who is, my understanding is that the automatic gearbox will only fully work once the gearbox oil has reached the correct operating temperature. There is, I presume, a sensor in the gearbox to detect when this temperature is reached. Anyway I will get back tomorrow with the Rev figures that you ask for. Good luck sorting this out.

More
18 Mar 2020 20:41 #220041 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Automatic gear change speeds
It depends on several factors. How hard you are pressing the accelerator, how much load is on the transmission (going up hill or towing for example) and of course transmission temperature. Other than changing the oil every few years there is little that can or needs to be done to the transmission. Bear in mind that shifting up too early is undesirable, given the Jimny engine is not very powerful and the power it does make is made at high rpms. I've never driven mine slowly but I know that if you hold your foot to the floor and it will change at close the red line, and it is nice and eager to change down under load.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philosophical

• Andyhereford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2020 11:23 #220065 by Andyhereford
Replied by Andyhereford on topic Automatic gear change speeds
Phil
As said above it depends on the load the engine is under, but on my 2004 automatic on a flat road with two adults it seems to change at10/15, 20/25 and 35/40. The engine has to warm.
Hope this is some help to you.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds