BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Aluminium Epoxy?

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 12:58 #219924 by wilt
Aluminium Epoxy? was created by wilt
Hi,
Can anyone suggest, apart from pulling the Engine out how to repair a crack in Engine Block/Timing Case,the location being where the Alternator adjuster retaining Screw is tightened I noticed this as I was about to change the Belts,can anyone name a good Ally/Metal Bond Epoxy & what would the success rate would be?I'm guessing there is someone out there that has used such stuff ?
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2020 15:08 #219925 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
I'd use any of the magic metals.....I have a £500 tub of ceramic carbide I use for bodg...er repairing unique parts.....and a tig welder if I want a proper job.

Saw a Cosworth race head repaired with JB weld.....still running afaik.

More
16 Mar 2020 15:44 #219928 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
Magic metals - might hold or might not? Can't say I've been impressed to date. Tend to think of it as an aesthetic bodge material and on an engine block (with heat cycles) I have serious doubts as to longevity of 'repair'. Not what you want to hear but I've got to be honest.

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 17:26 #219937 by wilt
Replied by wilt on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
Thanks for the reply I cant get doin taking the engine out gonna try & slacken the Bolt & hopefully get the Belts changed just have to tighten it up very gingerly

Keith

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 17:36 #219939 by wilt

Heres a picture of the offending article that I need to repair 'any ideas' I hopeB) B) :(

Keith
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Mar 2020 18:54 - 16 Mar 2020 18:54 #219944 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
I would be tempted to drill it out and put a bolt through with a nylock nut and a washer at each side, as well as the magic metal stuff on the crack.

The nut/bolt/washers will spread the load around the hole rather than in it directly, hopefully making it last longer for you.

While the belts are off have a check for play in the crank pulley. Its usually that on its way out that kills off belts

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 16 Mar 2020 18:54 by Riccy.

More
16 Mar 2020 18:58 - 16 Mar 2020 18:59 #219945 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I assume the crack is all the way through to the threaded hole into which the bracket bolt is fitted?

If so action of the bolt tightening will force crack gap larger, so I doubt any metal glue will cope with this. I have used magic metal myself successfully, but it's not for this job in my humble opinion.

So possible options:-
1)I good welder should be able to get a tig in and make a seam repair. Not one for a DIY'er in my opinion, but a possibility.
2) Put a smaller (clearance) longer bolt through the hole and use penny washers and a nylock nut on the other side and pinch it all up. This removes the opening action of the current bolt in the threaded hole, you have replaced it with a pinch action nut / bolt over the metal.
3) live with it, it's probably been like that for a while.

Hope you can visualise my poor description for option 2 :laugh: If it was mine I would try opinion 2.

It's probably cracked because it's been overtightened in the past, or the threads have "picked-up" or it's all cross threaded, ultimately applying too much pressure on the assembly and piping the crack to alleviate.
Mike

Edit
Riccy beat me to it, but it's the same solution so it must be good, two votes.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 16 Mar 2020 18:59 by Scimike.

More
16 Mar 2020 22:35 #219959 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Aluminium Epoxy?
Thats the engine block....weld it easy enough to get to.

Attachments:

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2020 14:48 #219991 by wilt
Thanks for your input all sounds good to me not attempted to loosen the bolt yet damn ham fisted mechanics that have to over tighten things

Keith

• wilt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2020 14:53 #219992 by wilt
Tha more I look round this Xar the more I seem to find wrong with it I appreciate its had a hard 14 years judging by the rust ,but I must say your options are feasible along with Riccy,s ideas so thanks again for your help

Keith

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds